Blue Mountain Lager Stalled

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewn00b

Reaction score
Hi, I have had a morgans blue mountain lager kit in the fermenter for 8 days now. Started off at a fast pace 1042-1022 in first 30hrs. There was a cold snap in the middle of last week where it probably got too cold. Approx 16C. I've given things a good swirl and warmed it up to about 24 to try and get things moving again but It seems to have given up at 1012. Original gravity was 1042 with kit made up to 23L, kit yeast pitched dry with 1kg of a malt mix from my local home brew shop. I was expecting a final gravity of around 1006. Has the yeast packed it in early? Any suggestions to save this one? Thanks

Most of my beers finish 1.010-1.012. As long as the SG has been constant for 2 days then I'd say it's done.

Generally speaking it's best to start your fermentation on the low end - around 18C for an ale then let it climb after a few days but try not to go higher than 22. The ramp at the end keeps the yeast active and helps it clean up some of it's early by-products. The lower temp at the start limits the production of esters and off flavours while the yeast multiplies.

PS: One way you can start cool without a fermentation fridge is to prepare your biggest stock pot full of water and stick it in the fridge the day before you make your kit. Then when you pour that into your fermenter with your diluted can and malt/sugarz it will give you a good starting temperature...aiming for around 18C.

Most of my beers finish 1.010-1.012. As long as the SG has been constant for 2 days then I'd say it's done.

Generally speaking it's best to start your fermentation on the low end - around 18C for an ale then let it climb after a few days but try not to go higher than 22. The ramp at the end keeps the yeast active and helps it clean up some of it's early by-products. The lower temp at the start limits the production of esters and off flavours while the yeast multiplies.

PS: One way you can start cool without a fermentation fridge is to prepare your biggest stock pot full of water and stick it in the fridge the day before you make your kit. Then when you pour that into your fermenter with your diluted can and malt/sugarz it will give you a good starting temperature...aiming for around 18C.

Thanks. It has been stable for the last coulpe of days. I'm using pet bottles anyways so worse case I ruin some plastic bottles and have to clean the floor:)

Why were you expecting a FG of 1006? Have you used this malt/mix before and got it to 1006? I'm guessing the mix has malt, dextrose and possibly some corn syrup. If this is the case then 1012 may be about right depending on the ratios in the mix. As you say, it has been stable for a couple days; so this combined with the guess on the fermentability of the mix, I would say your beer is most likely done. A couple more days won't be detrimental to the beer though.

+1 bout the same I got with the Blue Mnt. kit using US-05.
As already said leaving another few days will not do harm and will be advantageous.

If you're concerned still.. have a read through here.
:icon_cheers:

Back