Bloody Infection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiro

Reaction score
Well probably done around 30 brews so far and just got my first infection. Not sure how it happened as I'm pretty meticulous in cleaning and sanitising. Worst thing is I was so looking forward to my 1st attempt at Dr Smurto's GA. I'm very disappointed. Anyway will have to put down another.

Infection_small.jpg

Bugger!

Did you gladwrap the lid?

(A single layer of gladwrap wont stop nasties getting in once primary has finished I have found)

Bugger!

Did you gladwrap the lid?

(A single layer of gladwrap wont stop nasties getting in once primary has finished I have found)

Yep single layer of glad wrap. Probably the 4th one I've did with it.

Undo your tap and have a looksee.

I've already gave it a hit with nappisan. I do pull the taps apart to clean and sanitise them before each brew.

How does it taste?

Wasn't very nice when I tried it about 3 days ago. Just before I dry hopped it on day 7 it tasted really good. That why I really looking forward to it.

Just before I dry hopped it on day 7 it tasted really good. That why I really looking forward to it.

id say thats ya culprit there..the only infections ive ever had (2 of) occured/showed up after dry hopping..wether its a bit of manky air/bug wafting in there when the hops go in or its the hops themselves,i dunno..hasnt happened from all dry hopped beers ive made tho. wether its a coincedence or not, ive never got an infection from slipping a hop plug in tho...maybe its the speed i slip it in at :lol:..i feel your pain mate,its a terrible thing to have happen

id say thats ya culprit there..the only infections ive ever had (2 of) occured/showed up after dry hopping..wether its a bit of manky air/bug wafting in there when the hops go in or its the hops themselves,i dunno..hasnt happened from all dry hopped beers ive made tho. wether its a coincedence or not, ive never got an infection from slipping a hop plug in tho...maybe its the speed i slip it in at :lol: ..i feel your pain mate,its a terrible thing to have happen

I was thinking that's when it may have happened also. thinking about ditching the glad wrap and going back to the lid also.

I was thinking that's when it may have happened also. thinking about ditching the glad wrap and going back to the lid also.
i use 2 layers of gladwrap,90deg to each other if u know what i meen,then a wide rubber band .i dont trust one layer,it only just covers the width of the ferm opening with one strip i find.i put the soaked clean lid and o.ring on once filled,rock/shake for a min,remove lid,pitch yeast,add glad wrap and band.i can then hose the lid and o.ring clean and hang to dry.i use bunnings ferms,the lid has no airlock hole.

Back