Block & Tackle Chain Hoist

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supercheap Auto have them too, here.
Don't know if they are cheap & nasty or not. Probably similar quality to the ebay ones.

What about an engine hoist,winch up the pot wheel it to where ever and bingo,job done.
It could be used for other ? applications and can be had for a reasonable price.

tavas said:
I use a boat winch mounted on a frame i made. Cheap boat winch from BCF will work.
Damn, out of sight out of mind. I've got one of these on the boat trailer in the lock up. Even has plastic covered wire.

Gabba, what size are your top pulley wheels?

This is what I use,good for 200KG no sweat.Could be expensive tho.
Just need a tie off cleat or similar.
Boat winch is good too.

Boat winch is good too.

031.jpg

I needed to lift a motor out and in turned out a few times. this is a super cheap chain block on a tripod I knocked up out of some pipe plate and a bolt. needs safety chains to stop the legs slipping out. the design allows you to walk it. 250kg is more than enough. the other thing with these is the chain to operate it needs to hang pretty much straight down. you could hang a bucket there for it to go in.
chain block on tripod.JPG

That is 2 bolts

Gabba, what size are your top pulley wheels?
they are 90 mm x 2o wide roughly
typical med duty trawler gear
and the rope is 12mm not 14 silver rope
double on top with a single with a becket on bottom
tie off cleat on the shed wall

that is serious sizing. Easy to lift I imagine. What sort of prices were they?

wombil said:
Boat winch is good too.

attachicon.gif
031.jpg
Looks good. Can I borrow her...... :lol:
Seriously though, that setup looks good.
I don't really want the tie off cleat & that's why I was looking at the chain hoist.

Even though im young and strong :p , this thread has made me now seriously consider I beam rails and a little electric crane above my fermenting freezers and CC fridge. Even more so that I want to start doing massive Ginger Beer and Cider batches in 50L fermenters as my stocks dont seem to last.

Onya Crusty :angry2:

I tell you guys, unless you can cover your brew, don't use a chain block. The chain and wheels are all wearing parts right above what you are lifting. And for BIAB brewers the steam will rust and corrode things quicker than you would believe. Trust me on this, I am an engine reconditioner, and have chain blocks over hot tanks, cold tanks and just for loading.
A multi sheave pulley system with good quality rope and cleat would be the go. Also an engine crane would serve, as the lifting hook etc doesn't move and the crane is mobile to move from one place to another.

superstock said:
I tell you guys, unless you can cover your brew, don't use a chain block. The chain and wheels are all wearing parts right above what you are lifting. And for BIAB brewers the steam will rust and corrode things quicker than you would believe. Trust me on this, I am an engine reconditioner, and have chain blocks over hot tanks, cold tanks and just for loading.
A multi sheave pulley system with good quality rope and cleat would be the go. Also an engine crane would serve, as the lifting hook etc doesn't move and the crane is mobile to move from one place to another.
Thanks for the tips.
After a visit to Gabba's place this afternoon, I think I'm sold on his pulley system idea.
I found these on ebay & I don't see any problem lifting anything with either of these.
What do you think Gabba?

4:1 bad boy

The mother of all pulleys, 6:1

Crusty that seems blood expensive and to borrow a phrase "using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut'. Go to a boat chandlery and buy two 30mm double pulleys (both with a becket I think it is called) and a cleat. Rope from bunnings. All up it will cost less than half. That is what I use for my braumeister.

EDIT: both pulleys should have beckets.

Latest posts

Back