Block & Tackle Chain Hoist

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
Well, after my first brew on the BM 50, I've decided to up the pulling power of my pulley system.
I refuse to do another brew until I get something set up better than the BIAB pulley system I was using.
The suction power of the malt pipe & the grain weight was super heavy & I ain't doing it again without some serious help.
I'm looking at a Block & tackle. Any of you guys using one & care to share what you think. I've seen one before but never used one & know nothing about them at all. I'm looking at this one. There's not much price difference between the 1 Ton & 2 Ton & both are more than I need but the chain lift may be handy for jobs down the track.
Thoughts or recommendations will help me out.
Cheers

What were you using previously? I've copied bribie G's system for mine. Works well, still some effort to hoist (17kg grain bills when full in my clone).

I got the blocks from anzor.

lael said:
What were you using previously? I've copied bribie G's system for mine. Works well, still some effort to hoist (17kg grain bills when full in my clone).

I got the blocks from anzor.
I was just using a single rope pulley & it was ok for single batch Biab but I didn't enjoy removing that malt pipe with it.
I made a rookie mistake too by lifting the malt pipe a tad too high during the sparge & the malt pipe came off the centre rod leaving it in suspension with nowhere to go. I simply had to hold onto it until the sparge water ran through. The block & tackle has the advantage of locking in position at any height so looking at this at the moment.

Crusty, get the block and tackle now plan your brewing space. If you having trouble with the 50L brau now it can only get worse strength wise. We had a member in our club that was 95 when he called last drinks and brewed to the end. He had rails for his B&T all through his brewery. He never had to lift more than a pint glass.

Spiesy said:
I got a block and tackle, rope one, from Bunning's.
Might go and grab one. Have been looking into this for 60l ferms into the chesty...have been using a moving trolley to the side then getting a hand or stupidly struggling... not recommended.

I would suggest a multi sheave rope pulley. I have several chain blocks in my w/shop. The good quality ones get some rust on the chains if they are not used with oily hands. The cheap ones tend to flake the nickel?? coating off the hand chain and I wouldn't want my brew under either of them.

If you want to be able to pull the load up and it sit there at your desired height, well a block and tackle is probably the go, i have a 2t one which is great for all my needs, but thats mainly mechanical not brewing, and its fixed in my shed.
I'd grab a 250kg or 500kg one for brewing if I were u crusty, they weigh fukall so u dont have to struggle on a ladder when lifting them above your head (If u plan to move it around and out of the road).

The one problem I see though is excess chain always being in your road, not only the lift chain, but the lifting and lowering hand chain, they are normally really long, and they get in your road enough when doing mechanical tasks, i'd hate to have to use one when trying to keep a brew still and sterile. You have to do some precision measuring to make sure where u want to use it isnt to close vertically to where to want to mount it. (I've probably confused the hell outa u now)

Maybe try this option http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/750-kg-Beaver-Chain-lever-block-come-along-/251471768710?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8ce2ac86 , what us diesel mechanics refer to as a 'Come 'along'

superstock said:
I would suggest a multi sheave rope pulley. I have several chain blocks in my w/shop. The good quality ones get some rust on the chains if they are not used with oily hands. The cheap ones tend to flake the nickel?? coating off the hand chain and I wouldn't want my brew under either of them.
Yeh that to.

A rope pulley with a boat style tie to the side might be better. http://www.anzor.com.au/marine-hardware/cleats-fairleads/product

Crusty said:
Well, after my first brew on the BM 50, I've decided to up the pulling power of my pulley system.
I refuse to do another brew until I get something set up better than the BIAB pulley system I was using.
The suction power of the malt pipe & the grain weight was super heavy & I ain't doing it again without some serious help.
I'm looking at a Block & tackle. Any of you guys using one & care to share what you think. I've seen one before but never used one & know nothing about them at all. I'm looking at this one. There's not much price difference between the 1 Ton & 2 Ton & both are more than I need but the chain lift may be handy for jobs down the track.
Thoughts or recommendations will help me out.
Cheers
Brian
i'm using a 2x1 rope block ant it's very easy to to lift a ss kettle with 62 liters in it .
you better come round and have a look and a beer
ken

Crusty said:
Where did you get it all from GABBA?
I bought the block pulleys from the co-op in maclean plus the 14 mm silver rope is easy on the hands and to splice

you can buy just about anything you will need at the co-op chanderlry and all stainless .
see my brother alan in there
most of these things aren't cheap but you will never break them
ken

I use a boat winch mounted on a frame i made. Cheap boat winch from BCF will work.

Latest posts

Back