Blichmann Beer Guns

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some reviews from other happy customers over on brewboard here.
If you search in the Beer forum you will also find some members that had some problems with excessive foaming.
Once you get that hang of it and tuned for your environment they work well. It is having the patience and being prepared to drink some spillage up front :p

Doc

I was reading some info on Brewboard for a counter pressure filler and everyone pretty much said that the brew gun is loads better. Did a search here and found that the reviews are not so good.

Basically I am looking at filling bottles for long term storage, up to a year or more.

Has anyone used the beer gun and had it stand up to the test of time or am I better off going the CPF?

Kabooby :)

Well after reading some more positive reviews on the beer gun I am going to give it a go

Anyone not happy with thiers and want to sell it? If not I will get a new one

What do microbreweries do in the states for filling their growlers? I remember a couple where they filled straight out the tap. Might the problem have something to do with the diameter of the neck?

I remember a lot of the micros said the beer would be fine for a couple of weeks, never lasted long enough to test that idea though.

Not sure what they do.

I dont think filling from the tap would be good for long term storage. I have had plenty of micro brews where the beer has not kept for more than 6 months

What do microbreweries do in the states for filling their growlers? I remember a couple where they filled straight out the tap. Might the problem have something to do with the diameter of the neck?

I remember a lot of the micros said the beer would be fine for a couple of weeks, never lasted long enough to test that idea though.

Interestingly, the September 2008 BYO Mag has something about this in their Mr Wizard section:

BYO said:
"In the early days we would fill growlers the traditional way by hoisting one of these inelegant jugs up to the tap and filling it with beer until the foam was displaced and the whole jug was full of beer. ... but I never was proud of the way my beer tasted from a growler because it was oxydized, even within a day or two of filling. ... So we quickly began counter pressure filling growlers to combat oxidation."

He also goes on to say that they soon learned that growlers are not actually rated for pressure!!!! :huh:

Apparently this brewpub still fills with a CPF, but used a different storage vessel.

I know its an old thread....but anyone with one of these Blichmann gun fillers that want to sell them?? I am looking for a cheapie.

thanks
Chris

I know its an old thread....but anyone with one of these Blichmann gun fillers that want to sell them?? I am looking for a cheapie.

thanks
Chris

I use one, and it is great, carbonated homebrew in a bottle with no sediment. I keg everything and then bottle for storage. I even put together a video about it http://youtu.be/yJr89K-vz2s

Back