Blended Yeast Starter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droid

somewhere on the slippery slope with a beer in han
Reaction score
Hellooooo

Gots me some WLP 590 French Saison Yeast and am about to do a 20ltr Saison and then do a bigger batch with the slurry from that first batch

I was thinking about adding some Brett WLP648 for a bit of funk later on but just thought hey could I just chuck them in together and do my starter that way?

I can't really be bothered doing two starters one after the other....

yes / no ?

droid said:
Hellooooo

Gots me some WLP 590 French Saison Yeast and am about to do a 20ltr Saison and then do a bigger batch with the slurry from that first batch

I was thinking about adding some Brett WLP648 for a bit of funk later on but just thought hey could I just chuck them in together and do my starter that way?

I can't really be bothered doing two starters one after the other....

yes / no ?
Depends how much residual sugars you want the brett to munch on, and how funky you want your brew. Brett is likely to throw more funk in a co-ferment than just pitching one yeast after another. I personally like the beers to show some funk over time, and that is why i pitch brett a few days after the primary strain has slowed down.

tooooo laaaaaaate but I'll take that on board for next time cheers - it smells good tho!

Back