Black Stouts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groggo

Reaction score
hi im only new to the home brewing scene but have made a black stout that is too my taste incredible

a friend from work sugguested to me to use 500 grams of plum jam in the primary fermentation

has anyone else used this method?

by the way im lame using premix from woolies or bigw(coopers)

he also told me to leave the bottles for at least a year before drinking

the results i did get were great

Congratulations on leaving your beer for a whole year before drinking. Your will power should be applauded.
Cheers
Gerard

heheh had a candian blonde , tooheys draught , coopers pale ale in between though

i keep the beer under the house the temp down there stays the same

been told also the temp of the storage area can effect the brew also ??

hmm plum jam.. Ill have to give that a go next time I do a stout

groggo, do share, was it just a coopers stout kit + booster and then the jam or did you do something else.

as for storing bottles, a constant temp is the go, unless you live in the NT and that temp is always 30+ ;)

:D hi well yeah the coopers and premium stout (im not sure sugar)mix

and plain old cottees plum jam and of course yeast

when i did open the bottles the head on the glass was thick creamy

i dunno if it make a difference (that why im asking here) but the guy who told me makes a lot of wine also

My opinion FWIW is that the fruit did nothing for the head.
Coopers is a creamy stout anyway, but the brewing sugar might have improved it.
The plum jam has increased the fermentables and the alc %.
Plums may have added to the flavour. I have a nectarine black ale and a blackberry stout, made with fruit (not jam), which are dated 1998 and 2000, respectively.
The stout is quite tart, and still quit roasty. The bitterness is like a gruit, all from the black grain, as the hops are long gone.
The black beer (Dark Side of The Moon - recipe from Ausbeer) is still quite drinkable too.
I also have a raspberry wheat beer, made in 1997, using W3056 and IIRC 2 jars of Woolworths raspberry jam. It now tastes like a fruit lambic.
There is always room for one fruit beer each year. I plan to do a kiwifruit lager with DME, Hallertau Mittelfrueh and San Francisco lager yeast. It's been a while, and I still have some of these in the fridge from way back (too gassy). Next time the kiwifruit prices come down at the supermarket, I'll have me some brewin' to do.

Grandpa Seth

About 3 years ago I brewed a wheat beer then added some kilos of dried quandongs in secondary. Result was nice, one NHC judge reckoned it was more like a liquer than a beer!

Have done a sour brown with cherries, damn nice!

Fruit does have a place in beer, and not just to hide "funny" tastes! :)

Jovial Monk

I made a Coopers Dark Ale Last night with 500g of plum jam.. Made a starter with SafAle S04 yeast. This morning before work I had a look and it has been blowing through the airlock :angry: at least I know the yeast is good..

Bionic said:
I made a Coopers Dark Ale Last night with 500g of plum jam.. Made a starter with SafAle S04 yeast. This morning before work I had a look and it has been blowing through the airlock :angry: at least I know the yeast is good..
the same thing happend here this time for me .The was one hell of a foam up .Anyway i was wondering why it didnt do this last time change nothing from the last batch :(

Back