Black saison not quite black... Can I re steep carafa?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickcr250

Reaction score
So I brewed up a black saison last night using some carafa t3 that I had cold steeped for around 16 hours. I added the cold steeped liquor in the last ten minutes of the boil but after cubing it up I don't think its quite dark enough. I still have the carafa sitting in my strainer and was wondering if I could just add another litre of water to it and let it steep overnight then boil, cool and add to my fermenter when I pitch the cube?

Just smell your carafa beforehand and make sure it still smells roasty bitter rather than like rotten spent grain. You don't want any traces of those aromas in your beer.

I misread. My answer is still yes (provided it smells ok) but if you have any fresh, use that or get some new stuff, crack, steep, boil, add.

Reading from a phone and missed that you were wanting to use the same grains again.

Hmm, maybe don't re-steep the same grains. The beer will also be darker in a 2"+ beer glass vs a 1" hydrometer tube with a chunk of glass in the middle of it.

Just as some advice, this beer isn't black enough and try again next time you make a black saison.

I've tried several tricks after steeping carafa for colour only and not getting it black enough that I learned which way is best......add at mash out.

It imparts all the colour and id say <40% of the flavour, but you still get enough without it being dominant like in your stouts and porters. Now this may be different for a style like saison.

It still smells good but I'm a little worried now.... Might just let it run as is and see how it goes. Was really hoping for black though :(

I've added a whole bottle to a beire de garde and it's still only deep ruby in colour though

+1 to dark candi. I make back to back saisons - a light one (pils malt with a bit of wheat, and a bit of
sugar), then a dark one (same malt, but dark candi instead of the sugar) on top of the yeast cake or with harvested yeast. A perfect summer occupation for my fermenter.

Call it something different and enjoy it for what it is. Make the change for the next recipe. Enjoy each mouthful.

Back