Black Rock Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l7edwards

Reaction score
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone knows if the yeast supplied with the black rock mexican lager is a true lager yeast? It claims in the kit/guide that it is but makes no real mention of specific fermentation temps.

Cheers

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone knows if the yeast supplied with the black rock mexican lager is a true lager yeast? It claims in the kit/guide that it is but makes no real mention of specific fermentation temps.

Cheers

I have just (4 brews ago) used the BR mexican lager, and it fermented @ 18 - 24 C as per the instructions. Tastes ok! So I don't thin kit is a true lager yeast. I find Saflager23 best if you can keep the temps in the range and under control (or liquid yeasts if you have extra $$)

I have just (4 brews ago) used the BR mexican lager, and it fermented @ 18 - 24 C as per the instructions. Tastes ok! So I don't thin kit is a true lager yeast. I find Saflager23 best if you can keep the temps in the range and under control (or liquid yeasts if you have extra $$)

Slightly off topic but has anyone compiled a list of what kits are supplied with what strains of yeast? Perhaps some proper data might be available for the particular strian of yeast instead of the typical 18-27deg fermentation temperature.

that was a dark yeast in the mexican lager kit, never had a yeast like that before.
I just put one down yesterday, got it sitting on 18c, it will go down further, so I'll see what happens, if its a reasonable lager yeast I can't see why it shouldn't be ferementing as low as 12c.

Back