Black Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's also a Weyermann liquid extract called Sinamar. Sounds like mostly for appearance only, which means it's little more than grain-derived food coloring !

http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.asp?i...7&sprache=2

Nope, it is a Carafa extract I believe. I used a fair bit in a BIIPA I did and it did introduce a roast flavour in the beer.

If you want some dark malt characteristics in your beer, it's a nice trick to back off on the IBU on the recipe just a touch and let the bitterness from the roast balance out the malt. YMMV :)

I think the next couple of brews will be black ipas. i will use the roast to get the colour in one. cold steeped carafa in the other. sooo many decisions..... i will have to report back with my findings.

I've used choc rye in a black rye IPA. It's huskless so it doesn't give a burnt flavour. Works well, though not as dark as some of the black/carafa grains. I probably should have used more for a really black colour as opposed to dark brown but with 400g/23L batch it didn't have any noticeable roast.

We do a Black IPA. Mostly because the wife is the one that drinks the stuff and she does not like dark beers.

Use Carafa special at flame out finely ground just to get the color.

Insainly biter and hoppy. The kind of beer only 1 in a 100 on the board would like. The kind of IPA the west coast of the USA is known for. Least the good ones.

You use it at flame-out or mash-out?

Sorry I add it at mash out a little bit at a time to get what color you want. I also BIAB so my grains come out faster then if you were draining through the grain bed. I do not make fine powder, coarser like hot wheat cereal I guess (can not remember what you call it there, one is Cream of Wheat here).

Good catch on my quick post and wrong term.

hey - i'm in the process of formulating a black ipa at the moment - seems like alot of recipes are opting to either steep the carafa special cold or add it at the end of the mash - will this make a big difference? I understand this is to subdue the roasty type flavour and let the hops shine, but does it make a big difference, like is carafa especially unpleasant if mixed in with the rest of the grain bill?

Milestron, The flavour doesn't clash, think of a dryer and hoppier american stout.

A black IPA is a bit of a silly style in that it is supposed to taste like a pale IPA but look like a stout. Why I'm not sure, but they can be great beers and I've got one bottle conditioning at the moment that uses rye and choc rye in it. I personally can't be arsed to use some black/carafa/whatever in one for colour additions only if I didn't want their flavour.

Latest posts

Back