Black Ipa Recipe Help Needed (feral Karma Citra)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to have a few tonight.

For me it was brown, not black. We used a variety of Goldings, Styrians, Challenger and Northern Brewer to bitter/flavour/aroma/dry hop.

It finished at 1.017 which was a bit disappointing, I was hoping for <1.015.

Will update further when I've tasted it!

sorry - n00b question - what does "Strike temp 55 (130)- 30 minutes rest" mean? Trying to add this into Beer Alchemy and it's not one of the options in the processes.

sorry - n00b question - what does "Strike temp 55 (130)- 30 minutes rest" mean? Trying to add this into Beer Alchemy and it's not one of the options in the processes.

Its the temp this person had the water at when they put the grain in, they held the temp of the watery grain mix for 30 minutes, its called a rest. 55 degrees is a protein rest, and a long one what what i know. If your just getting into all grain just aim for 65 degree rest for an hour, it'll get your job done, and build your knowledge from there.

Cool thanks Charst.

I'm going to have a crack at adapting this for BIAB stovetop.

Time in the keg has done it wonders. I'd probably do it again, but bitter a little more if using English hops.
It has a slight sweetness to it which throws it a little off balance.

Anyone using midnight wheat in their black IPA's? Brewing one up tomorrow and just starting to have a think about how much to add. Will add a touch of choc malt but not enough to impart too much of a roasted flavour.

Anyone using midnight wheat in their black IPA's? Brewing one up tomorrow and just starting to have a think about how much to add. Will add a touch of choc malt but not enough to impart too much of a roasted flavour.

yeah i did to the 62 black ipa. made it reel dark but not quite black
dont worry about the flavour the 62 bIPA is very coffee chocolatetie :drinks:

Alright guys, I'm finally brewing my Black IPA this Sunday (BIAB). Anyone see any glaring errors in my recipe? Suggestions appreciated.

Black IPA

Recipe

Batch Size: 25 L
Boil Size: 35 L
Estimated OG: 1.074 SG
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

6.00 kg Pilsner 71.86 %
0.50 kg Rye Malt 5.99 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt 5.99 %
0.25 kg Crystal, Medium 2.99 %
0.25 kg Carafa Special I 2.99 % (10 minutes to go)
0.25 kg Chocolate Malt 2.99 % (10 minutes to go)

90 minute step mash
Strike temp 55 - 30 minutes rest
up to 65 for 60 minutes
Carafa and Chocolate with 10 minutes to go
Mash out at 77 degrees

Boil

28 g Galaxy (60 min)
28 g Cascade (60 min)

8 g Gypsum (60 min)
2 g Chalk (60 min)

56 g Citra [11.10 %] (10 min)
56 g Galaxy [13.70 %] (10 min)

5 g Polyclar BrewBrite (10 min)
1 g Yeastlife extra Nutrient (10 min)
Whirlfloc tab (10 min)

1 Pack American Ale I (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

28 g Cascade Dry Hop 7-14
28 g Galaxy Dry Hop 7-14

Sorry to resurrect an old thread here, but I have a mate that wants me to brew him a Black IPA. I've never brewed a black or something this high OG, so its all new to me.

A couple of recipes in this thread have water additions like gypsum, chalk etc. Is this just to do with the water they are using (eg distilled or tank water) or is there some reason why you need to add them to a black IPA?

I've never needed to add any additions to my water previously

Without opening the water additions can o worms if you haven't in the past don't bother.
Made this myself ( on tap atm) good drop. I add water additions measure pH etc. Will turn out fine without

Made mine without any water additions and its fine also...too good in fact and I should ration myself LOL

Little bit of a thread necro....

Put up this recipe because I tried the beer at a pub and absolutely love it

I cant remember exactly but OG was about 1.060 and FG ~ 1.011

Great colour but damn it has a hop kick from what I tried while bottling. Way more bitter than Karma Citra - not sure how drinkable it will be.
Hopefully (cos I was sort of tasting the dregs) I just got a mouthful of hop pellets and it will mellow out in the bottle

I made it as a wedding gift...so I bloody hope it mellows out lol

Back