Black hops Neverland grapefruit double ipa clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds right. It's a delicious beer (esp. on tap @ BH HQ) with a good bitterness kick.

I pretty much ignore hopping rates in all these recipes and go with my tried and true 3 g/L for APAs and 4-6 g/L for (NE)IPAs. With cold-side oxidation under control (dry hopping under active fermentation + no-transfer kegging), they are PLENTY hoppy without doubling the dry hopping rate.

Pioneer NEIPAs like Heady Topper dry-hopped at about half the rate in the above recipe. Part of the fruity flavour comes from the yeast, hence the discussion here and elsewhere over which strain to use. Over time an arms race developed, and rates by home brewers in 20L batches have run as high as 450g. A small percentage of beer drinkers anywhere are hopheads, which is why even some Belgian and German brewers offer the style as a sideline.

I've brewed them occasionally, using 80g in a long hop stand starting at 95 degrees and then dry-hopped with 100g, always Mosaic and one or two other hops (often Galaxy, never Citra), a grist of Golden Promise, wheat malt and Golden Naked Oats. Tried various yeasts. Got plenty of hop aroma, but malt and yeast flavours still came through.

I like "hoppy beers"; where you lose me is when it’s just hops and I can’t taste the beer.
Like anything the extremes are inhabited by very few.
Mark

It's a DIPA not a NEIPA. So not sure why we are talking about NEIPA dry hop rates. I dry hopped a 23 litre batch of DIPA with 250 grams and it was awesome. As long as you've got the bitterness and body to carry that much hop flavour. Be careful not to leave it on the hops for too long
3 days at about 15 degrees has worked well for me. Also make sure you cold crash and fine with gelatin so you drop out any remaining hop material so you it's nice and clean at the pour.

We're talking about the hopping rates the official recipe uses, which happen to be more in line with a NEIPA than a DIPA.

Between the insane hop rate, the low BU:GU, and being hazy with a wheat/oat grist, "double NEIPA" would probably be a more accurate description than DIPA.

It's a DIPA not a NEIPA. So not sure why we are talking about NEIPA dry hop rates. I dry hopped a 23 litre batch of DIPA with 250 grams and it was awesome. As long as you've got the bitterness and body to carry that much hop flavour. Be careful not to leave it on the hops for too long
3 days at about 15 degrees has worked well for me. Also make sure you cold crash and fine with gelatin so you drop out any remaining hop material so you it's nice and clean at the pour.
I plan on pressure fermenting until sounding valve stops increasing when I purge a bit (i.e. until fermentation ends). I'd then open the fermenter and drop a hop sock with all the hops in. Close it up and purge with CO2 several times to ensure w/e O2 dilution happened, it's not there any more. After the 3, 4 days I'd cold crash for a day at as cold as it gets then pressure transfer to a keg and leave in the keggerator at 0C until the keg ends.

Does this sound alright? Is opening the fermenter ok or should I try suspending the hops with a magnet etc?

Latest posts

Back