Biscuity-Toffee Malt Profile (Monster Mash / Kaiju Hopped Out Red_

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solipsist

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

Does anyone have any hints for trying to make a beer similar to Hopped Out Red by Kaiju (used to be Monster Mash). It is friggen delicious and I've not made a red ale yet, so I thought it would be a good place to start.

Their website says: "Tropical, piney aromas, layered over a complex, biscuity-toffee malt profile. 6.4% alc".

I'm happy enough to play around to get the hops right - but does anyone have any tips with getting a biscuity-toffee malt profile in a red ale? I'm not that familiar with red ales but the beer feels very Northwest USA to me, so I'm guessing US red rather than English red.

Cheers,
s.

There'll be a few ways/combos to do it.
I've only brewed 1 Red Ale and 1 ESB (plus a dozen others), so i've very limited experience.
But i'd guess Biscuit flavour would be achieved by using Biscuit or Victory (sort of a US version of Biscuit) malt, probably with an appropriate base malt like Maris Otter, and maybe a fair chunk of Munich.
Toffee could be a variety of crystals, but i'd suggest CaraAroma would be the primary choice.
Also, the "bready" element you can get from british ale yeasts (i think?) could be influencing the way the malt are expressed. (e.g.: could be just MO + Munich + crystal with a really good UK yeast at appropriate temps).

If it's got a tropical piney element, i'd heavily assume it's US or NZ.
I'd guess piney would come from chinook, but there's lots of hops options out there now.

Hope that give you a starting point, and someone who's a RA or malt expert jumps in.

Thanks technobabble66. So something like this might work? Maybe it's getting a bit complex.

70% Maris Otter.
[SIZE=14.4444446563721px]9% Munich I.[/SIZE]
7% Victory.
6% Crystal 40.
3% Crystal 120.
2.5% CaraAroma.
2.5% CaraPils.

Hopped with Chinook, Centennial and Galaxy.

I'm really just guessing at this point.

Have you tried it yet and if so how did it go?
I agree with you about Hopped Out Red, its a fantastic beer. My best to date is a Hop Hog clone recipe by Danestead. The man is brilliant, its so close to the original that its not funny. I reckon HoR takes it one more step though so I'm keen to give it a go.
Tobes

This is from Nat at Kaiju regarding the Hopped Out Red:

Malt:
Gladfield Ale Malt
Medium Crystal
Dark Crystal
Melanoidin Malt
Dark Munich malt

Hops are chinook and centennial, all late additions and dry hopping.

Latest posts

Back