Biscuit Malt & Brown Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arsenewenger

Reaction score
Have a recipe that requires biscuit malt and wanted to know if i could sub brown malt instead

AW

It will probably give you the same colour but not necessarily the same flavour. Biscuit gives toastiness, nuttiness, breadiness. It is available from grain and grape and also I think from some of the other retailers but it isn't the cheapest. If you're not in a huge rush to brew this recipe I can send you a kilo or so through the post (bought a 25 kg sack excitedly during a bulk buy but it never makes up a huge proportion of any grain bill so I have a good wack at my disposal)). Otherwise brew with the brown and try again with the stuff I send you.

All this is entirely contingent on whether it's legal to send grain to south Australia from Vic.

Biscuit malt is a pretty broad term, pretty much covers a range of malts including amber malt, victory malt and brown malt. Brown malt is often the darkest. So yeah it should work ok in the recipe but take into account that its darker.

Bairds Brown Malt has a real cedary character to it. Great stuff. You don't need much though! 2-3% max for my tastes.

My reply was specifically in regards to belgian biscuit (Dingemans).

I always thought of "biscuit malt" as describing all malts that are kilned wet DRY. I just had a look in DGB and it refers to Biscuit Malt as being 25L in colour so sounds pretty much the same as Amber Malt. Hmm, maybe what I have always thought was wrong! :lol:

I thought it was crystal malts that were kilned wet? I'm often wrong about things - could be again here.

Fark, I'm having a shocker!! :lol: Sorry, I meant dry.

I'm getting another beer! :wacko:

Biscuit and brown is like Sonny and Cher. Ones brown and ones not quite white. I have use both and there is no comparisons.Brown goes really well used in very small additions, you can use biscuit in a more liberal way.
GB

@ arsenwenger: if it's that recipe I gave you - the biscuit gives it a nutty character that complements the amarillo. There's oranges and nuts all mixed up in a lovely beer.

Yes Manticle it is the recipe that you gave me and the idea of sending some through the post would be nice send me a PM so we can talk turkey

Thanks Mate

Aw

Back