Birko Shorted Out?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notung

Reaction score
Hi all,

I went to heat my strike water this arvo, and to my horror the Birko urn will not power up. Earlier on today I gave the urn a real good scrub, then to get the last little filaments of steel wool out I decided to hold the urn upside down and give the interior a hose out. I let the urn fully dry in the sun before using, but still have nothing.

Has anybody experienced a problem like this with their urn? Is it a case of just waiting for potential moisture to clear out? Please give your opinions!

Cheers.

Base comes of easily, if there's dampness there try hair drier + sunshine and see if that revives it. The innards of the base don't seem to be too well sealed off from the outside world and have to rescrew mine on regularly.

Thanks both of you for the help! I reckon by tomorrow morning I'll probaby be mashing in without a problem. I'll post to let you know how it goes.

I'm fairly careful will my urn not to wet the underside or electrics, i keep the water inside the urn and wipe the outside for spills but i keep water away from the dial and underside.
As Bribie said it will probably dry out ok....

Base comes of easily, if there's dampness there try hair drier + sunshine and see if that revives it. The innards of the base don't seem to be too well sealed off from the outside world and have to rescrew mine on regularly.

I gave this a go with the hair drier this morning. There were a few large drops of water in there - yikes! I've learnt from this one. Unfortunately the urn is still not powering on, so I left the bottom panel open for drying over a few days (it is sheltered at least). Hopefully that'll sort it.

As for dislodging something, everything felt fairly in place when I looked. I think the moisture was the bigger issue.

Thanks people - hope I haven't stuffed it. :(

If it's still not working maybe you could contact the Birko people and see if there's a fuse or safety switch in there that's blown. Incidentally have you tried the reset button? It's a little pin hole in the right hand side when looking straight on to the tap, and If like me you will have seen it a million times and completely ignored its existence??

If it's still not working maybe you could contact the Birko people and see if there's a fuse or safety switch in there that's blown. Incidentally have you tried the reset button? It's a little pin hole in the right hand side when looking straight on to the tap, and If like me you will have seen it a million times and completely ignored its existence??

Yer I tried the reset button a couple of times, so that didn't seem to help it. I might need to phone them...

Back