Birgalow Cider Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel

Reaction score
Hi All
I am farly new to home brew. Last Thursday I put down a brigalow apple cider home brew kit (I use the standard coopers brewing kit). As of Friday afternoon I noticed no bubbling or any change in the brew. I went away for the weekend and ame back last night, to find that the surface of the brew had a white froth on it, similliar to the beers I had brewed previously, but still no bubbling. Upon closer inspection of the can I found the best before date was 5/8/05, and I purchased it last Wedensday. The brew has been kept pritty close to 25Deg C by a brew belt. Is there anything I am doing wrong here?
The first brew I made was a Coles Draught, and I used caster sugar in it (didnt know any better). This brew is about 3months old now, it tastes very fruity, but is also very gassy. Will the gas go away with time?
Thanks in advance for your help
Daniel

Hi daniel,

I can't answer your question about the cider as I've never brewed one myself. As for your first brew, if it is too gassy, try pouring it into a cold glass or jug and let it sit in the fridge for a while before you drink it. This should let the fizz die down a bit.

Cheers!

daniel said:
Hi All
I am farly new to home brew. Last Thursday I put down a brigalow apple cider home brew kit (I use the standard coopers brewing kit). As of Friday afternoon I noticed no bubbling or any change in the brew. I went away for the weekend and ame back last night, to find that the surface of the brew had a white froth on it, similliar to the beers I had brewed previously, but still no bubbling. Upon closer inspection of the can I found the best before date was 5/8/05, and I purchased it last Wedensday. The brew has been kept pritty close to 25Deg C by a brew belt. Is there anything I am doing wrong here?
[post="78118"][/post]​

I've never done this kit either, however as a general rule, forget bubbling through the airlock as a definitive sign of fermentation. Fermenter seals are not perfect and there is a high likelihood of gas escaping through the seals.
The white froth on the surface is a much better indicator of fermentation, so it should be fine.
Check the specific gravity with your hydrometer. If it's dropping, then you know that fermentation is taking place.
The expiry date on the kit is normally a fairly safe date. A few weeks after shouldn't have any serious implications. You should also check the expiry date of the yeast supplied with the kit, though some kits don't stamp any dates on the yeast.
25C is probably a bit too high as a fermenting temp. 20C is probably better for most kits. That would help to explain the fruitiness of your previous brew as well.
As we say in the trade, RDWHAHB (Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew!)

I have done one of these kits before.. It makes a very nice tasting Cider. Especially after 1 to 2 months of aging.
I really have to put another one of these down. All my friends and their wives love them and as soon as they are ready they are all drunk

I put down a cider going on 4 weeks ago still vigoursly bubbling away, and the yeast that came with it was no good so had to put another one in.

Latest posts

Back