BigW PET bottles- poor carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelM

Reaction score
Is anyone else getting poor carbonation in the BigW PET bottles? I have bought several boxes of these and used a mix of these and the Brew Cellar bottles. The beer from the BigW bottles has low carbonation compared to that in the Brew Cellar bottles. I suspect a poor seals. I have really made sure the lids are as tight as they can go. Anyone else have the same problem with these bottles?

I've had about 50% not carb properly, pretty sure it is the lids.

Our local Big W stopped selling Coopers bottles a few months ago. The cheap replacement (made in China labelled) reminds me of 'you get what you pay for'. eg. pay little, get little. I get Coopers bottles from Dan Murphy's now. Checking on-line reveals which Dan's are currently stocking them. P.E.T. bottle quality varies. Coopers bottles with their lining and their caps have been reliable for me.

I'm with all of you. The annoying thing is/was when the non-Coopers brand first appeared at my Big W they were both selling at the exact same price (though I expect they made more profit from the chinese ones). Then the Coopers PETs were totally phased out over about 6 weeks.

I have enough for now, but when the Coopers online store has their next regular free postage deal, I'll need to get several more cartons. And just by registering for their forum, you get a 10% discount off the announced price on everything bought from the store.

Cheers

I think the brew cellar bottles are arse too, as are the new Coopers lids.

I used to use the coopers pet bottles and they always worked fine. I got two cartons of big w ones to replace old, too far gone coopers bottles and they were absolute shit. Only a few would hold carb.

Replaced these with new coopers bottles and found out they are not as good as they used to be either. Far better than big w bottles but still have a few bottles from each carton not holding pressure. I notice thin spots in the plastic now and I suspect the lids aren't the same as they used to be.

I moved to glass bottles "grolsh style" swing top and haven't had a problem yet.

One word.....GLASS!

Get rid of that plastic shit trust me. A mate of mine has always used pet bottles. He just did a batch of glass and is throwing out all his pet! I have told him for years to switch and he finally tried it and straight up changed . I have only ever used glass

jkhlt1210 said:
One word.....GLASS!

Get rid of that plastic shit trust me. A mate of mine has always used pet bottles. He just did a batch of glass and is throwing out all his pet! I have told him for years to switch and he finally tried it and straight up changed . I have only ever used glass
second that, much more consistant!

I've never had a problem with PET bottles, though I've not tried these new Big W ones... I doubt I will now. I always bottle a few in plastic every batch - it's a great way to determine if carbonation is complete.

I went with PET at the start. Have around 4 boxes of PET that I reuse. But I am going to change to glass soon.

Had anyone tried using different caps on these bottles with any success. The seals on the lids that come with these bottles seems thinner than the brew cellar lids.

I've been using Big W bottles for my last few batches and haven't had any trouble with holding carbonation. Also used a bunch of the caps from Big W too, black ones in a bag of 30. Maybe I just got a good batch?

Those whose PET bottles have reached their toss out time, arounf about how many brews did you get out of 'em? I do use glass myself, but for case swaps up here we use plastic only.

I've done one batch up so far, had no issues with any of 'em holding gas, neither were there any issues with bottles I received in my first swap. I'm pretty sure they all woulda been non-Big W bottlesd.

Back