Big W - The Corrupter Of Home Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that the kit cans turnover is higher in the lower type of suburbs than the well to do type supermarkets.
Is the supermarket in a rich type area?
carindale is sorta both, there is a mix of yuppies and more well to do people and also some lower socio-economic areas. i dont really see how that would make much of a difference though...

I believe it's dependant on whether it's a "best before" date or "use by" date.
Our local supermarket has a very high % of its products past their "best before" date.
I'm sure someone with enlighten shortly...

Cheers Ross

...I can't recall what the case [whether it's 'best before' or 'due date'] with cans its, but from what I gather stuff with a 'due date' cannot be sold at all after the date (this is especially the case with dairy), and 'best before' is heavily discounted.

This is why I find it surprising that there are kits on the shelves that are out of date. Then again, the reps may not be checking the shelves, but just ensuring that the stock gets to the stores. I know from working at a supermarket that some reps (usually of the larger corporations) go into the stores and audit and restack the shelves sometimes, but not of the smaller ones.

EK

to get a rep into supermarkets costs the companies a lot of money. HB cans don't have reps coming in at all- they are taken care of by the dry goods manager, like just about everything else (even the stuff that the rep is supposed to do, because they are generally lazy, and don't do the orders).

My local Coles (Dee Why) has a great stock and puts cans on a specials shelf when they get close to reaching use by dates.

I picked up some Coopers Ginger Beer cans for $2 each. Ginger dosn't really go off I thought. A nice drop for my Mum.

I did a quad strength (4 cans) brew with it.

It turned out ok but blew fire out my nose and burnt your arse when you farted!

BOG

Coles near me seem to be great at keeping track of stock. My last Coopers can purchased had an expire date of 2009. I have also seen cans marked down that had not reached their expiry date with still a month to go.

Question. If your supermarket sells out of date brew gear, do you still buy your groceries from them?
How much other stuff is out of date? :blink:

Cheers
Ian

Be nice to see a Kit Register started though as I think it will answer a lot of questions on the date issue plus help the newer brewers/members get comfortable on the forum. The relevant bit of my deleted post is as follows...

...<snip>...

3. How Did You Rate this Kit (Out of Five Stars)
Good idea Pat, this could help us K&Kers quite a bit I think. Also Homebrew Kit Reviews is not a bad link for kit ratings.

EK

Last week in Coles, I noticed brewing yeast on the sale shelf. 40 cents for Brigalow yeast that had a best before date of late 2007. I can only guess how long ago this yeast was produced and the life it has had since. This is a great shame as many people in the general public develop their notions of homebrew based on beer made with poor product. Crap product making crap beer. Not that I think this particular out of date yeast would be capable of making any sort of beer as it likely to be cactus.

My local Big Dub seems to have the right idea - a bay devoted to homebrew with kits, bottles, all the bits to go in between, and a decent range of Coopers, Brigalow and Tooheys kits - pretty much all of which have use by dates of 2009 sometime. I can't seem to fault them - a plus for me I guess when getting some kits for the quick knock-up or more bottles. For everything else its the HB store :D

I'm starting to see a common theme here I went to Dan Murphy's today and got an Octoberfest when I got home I noticed the used by date was only a 5 days away. When in BigW in the past I have seen a few very short dated or out of date cans of HB. When I worked the food industry I would often find out of date stock on Woolies shelves. Perhaps their slogan should should be change to the "Far from Fresh Food people" Don't get me started on the Fresh "from the freezer" Bakery items or the thrawed for you inconvenience seafoods.

Vote with your feet and support quaility LHBS might cost a little more sometimes, but see it as an investment in your health.

I'm starting to see a common theme here I went to Dan Murphy's today and got an Octoberfest when I got home I noticed the used by date was only a 5 days away. When in BigW in the past I have seen a few very short dated or out of date cans of HB. When I worked the food industry I would often find out of date stock on Woolies shelves. Perhaps their slogan should should be change to the "Far from Fresh Food people" Don't get me started on the Fresh "from the freezer" Bakery items or the thrawed for you inconvenience seafoods.

Vote with your feet and support quaility LHBS might cost a little more sometimes, but see it as an investment in your health.

I used to work for Coles and I can tell you it isn't much different. I belive that I once found a Mars bar that was 3 Years out of date.

EK

I guess I am still a newbie, and still have a lot to learn so I can't bring myself to buy HB consumables from a supermarket.

I prefer to pay a small premium to the HBS shop, but then I feel that I can drop in and ask my (no doubt) dumb questions.

Rabz

I guess I am still a newbie, and still have a lot to learn so I can't bring myself to buy HB consumables from a supermarket.

I prefer to pay a small premium to the HBS shop, but then I feel that I can drop in and ask my (no doubt) dumb questions.

Rabz
Those questions can always be asked here Rabbitz...also you don't have to worry about opening hours!

EK

Back