Biab Process Inconsistency

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
which is why people should, and there have been multiple attempts on AHB to convince people that they should - actually specify where they are measuring their efficiency. all anyone needs to do to remove half the confusion, is actually say...

I got 89% efficiency - measured at pre-boil, measured post boil, measured to chillers, measured into fermenters, measured into package....

if someone uses the word efficiency, but fails to make it clear where and how they measured it, then any information they provide to you after the word efficiency appears, is fundamentally useless and you can ignore it, and them, and move to a more useful something to read.

But your efficiency is post boil but it includes your trub amount. This is as equally confusing because I am assuming that you not using it so why would you include it in your 'collected' amount. Its a loss, therefore it should affect your efficiency.

But your efficiency is post boil but it includes your trub amount. This is as equally confusing because I am assuming that you not using it so why would you include it in your 'collected' amount. Its a loss, therefore it should affect your efficiency.

You include it in Brewhouse efficiency because you are trying to determine the final volumes of wort you have produced & the gravity of that wort. If you just tip it & ignore it, you are going to fall short of the volume you should have produced & with that goes your efficiency. My recipes are based on 80% Brewhouse efficiency using BrewMate & I make 23lt batches. When I am finished the brew day & am transferring to my no chill cube or fermenter, I should have 23lt of wort, 2.5lt of this i don't use as it's trub but I have produced 23lt of wort.

It must be the difference in brewing programs as beersmith doesn't include trub in you final volume, thus leading to decreased efficiency due to collecting less wort into the fermenter.

It must be the difference in brewing programs as beersmith doesn't include trub in you final volume, thus leading to decreased efficiency due to collecting less wort into the fermenter.

Correct - see post 53 in this thread.

If your using Beersmith, then its "Mash Efficiency" that you want to concern yourself with.

Mash efficiency(in BS) = Pre Boil efficiency= Post Boil efficiency= efficiency into Kettle = Brewhouse efficiency(in BM)

Brewhouse efficiency(in BS) = efficiencyinto Fermenter = (not sure if there is a BM equivelant?)

Latest posts

Back