Biab grain bag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capt_pug_wash

Reaction score
What sort of material do i need to make a grain bag for biab and would any one know where I can purchase some .

Swiss voile I think it's called some one wil chime in.
I buy the bag country brewer have.
It has a draw sting I haven't had a problem yet I'm only couple brews in

Swiss voile is the material and you can get from any material shop like spotlight.

You can buy a bag for around $25 from craftbrewer that has tabs sewn in for lifting and works like a charm, I mainly do double batches so that's a bonus. If you're doing stove top 1m2 or so is a cheap and effective alternative.

After putting a hole in two standard BIAB bags from LHBS I got a piece of swiss voile, WOW it's so much stronger. I was doing single batches too and the swiss voile was used on my maiden double batch voyage and handled it and twisting with no dramas at all. I didn't even both cutting it in a circle just draped the excess over the side of pot and bunched it up and held with bulldog clips. I worry about acidic mash environment and those clips long term so will be cutting the bag into a circle to minimize draped amount over the side and trying to find some stainless steel paperclip type clips to hold the voile in place.

So yeah, after two regular bags, I've seen the light with swiss voile and feel myself and that piece of fabric have a long future together, that is until I get off my ass and build a 3V rig :p

I used to use the bulldog clips with my country brewer bag but last time I didn't mashing 40l in a 66l pot 7kg of grain didn't need them always good for safety still had to pull the bag up to mash out don't think you need them really
$14 how much is Swiss

Since I first bought swiss voile for BIAB I have found myself using it for all sorts of things. Cold steep coffee, chilli spray strainer, kava, syphon filter. It really is a great material.

LiquidGold said:
Since I first bought swiss voile for BIAB I have found myself using it for all sorts of things. Cold steep coffee, chilli spray strainer, kava, syphon filter. It really is a great material.
How much is it a a meter

From memory I paid less than 20 bucks for 1.5 metres, can't remember how wide the roll was though.

Thanks man for the trouble think I will stick to the country brewer bag cheap strong well hasn't had a a problem yet only 8 brews through it still going strong but Swiss voile seams to be the shit

DJ_L3ThAL said:
After putting a hole in two standard BIAB bags from LHBS I got a piece of swiss voile, WOW it's so much stronger. I was doing single batches too and the swiss voile was used on my maiden double batch voyage and handled it and twisting with no dramas at all. I didn't even both cutting it in a circle just draped the excess over the side of pot and bunched it up and held with bulldog clips. I worry about acidic mash environment and those clips long term so will be cutting the bag into a circle to minimize draped amount over the side and trying to find some stainless steel paperclip type clips to hold the voile in place.

So yeah, after two regular bags, I've seen the light with swiss voile and feel myself and that piece of fabric have a long future together, that is until I get off my ass and build a 3V rig :p
How did the hole happen

zooesk said:
How much is it a a meter
I paid $13 a few weeks ago for 2 meters with a 20% sale after I forgot to empty my grain bag out for 2 weeks and let sit untouched in my esky.
I didn't sow this one either much better to have it draped over the pot and just bunch it up with a few half hitches to a pulley in the shed to hoist it out.
Easier to empty, easier to clean, easier to fold, easier to store.

zooesk said:
I used to use the bulldog clips with my country brewer bag but last time I didn't mashing 40l in a 66l pot 7kg of grain didn't need them always good for safety still had to pull the bag up to mash out don't think you need them really
$14 how much is Swiss
Hmm, tempted to try without as my lid doesn't fit with the clips being a few mm thick as lid is a snug fit. Paranoid when I stir the mash one side will pull in, although it does seem the weight of the grain holds the bags we'll once it's "bed in". Thought some thin stainless paper clips would be perfect compromise, but can't find stainless paper clips anywhere only "steel".

zooesk said:
How did the hole happen
Stirring and once time was just stirring too hard with my thin plastic mash paddle. Second time the bag caught down on my pickup tube. Shouldn't happen now I've got just a round female BSP elbow as my pickup so no sharp edges to get caught on. I should add it was not epic grain everywhere type hold, merely a pin prick hole that a couple grains slipped through. Those two bags are now decommissioned into filters for filtering cube hops out if I use flowers in the cube when tipping into the FV.

Latest posts

Back