Biab Brew Rig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tribalfish

Reaction score
Does anyone have a permanent purpose made rig for their Biab brewing?

Mobile, or an attached pulley system for lifting heavy bags of wet grain?

Tribal.

I have read others use a decent rope on a strongly mounted hook/eyelet due to the weight of the wet grain.

We have a pulley system, nothing glamorous... Needs fixing a little as I need it higher makes it easier for girly brewer like me! There is no way I could do a double on my own.

Pistol Patch has a great pulley system... Also can everybody push his stars as he is feeling a little down! Bronze was not good enough for him.

Here is a photo of PP's system!

PP.JPG

P.S Hope you don't mind PP... have not got a photo of ours!

We have a pulley system, nothing glamorous... Needs fixing a little as I need it higher makes it easier for girly brewer like me! There is no way I could do a double on my own.

Pistol Patch has a great pulley system... Also can everybody push his stars as he is feeling a little down! Bronze was not good enough for him.

Here is a photo of PP's system!

View attachment 28164

P.S Hope you don't mind PP... have not got a photo of ours!

Sorry OP, slight OT:

Katie, how many kilo's are in the bag in the photo, if you know?

Cheers

That was our first assisted biab about two years ago... it was a double and Im thinking about 12 kilos.

Check this photo out

IMG_0080.JPG

Im so doing a BribieG here, Ive shown this picture quite alot.

And I dont think its off topic at all really. A valid question to see how much grain the bag and pulleys can hold!

Ive been considering making a brew stand seeing as im now batch sparging and BIAB'ing together, but I have to build a bar before i go down that road

I would estimate at least 7kgs of grain in there, and would think closer to 8kg if there was money on it. With water in the mix, who knows how much it weighs - could be double depending on how long it has been draining.

I just brew under the pergola outside, and throw a rope over a beam, with the other end attached to a hook screwed into the brickwork to hold if fast. Now thinking a pulley would be nice to add though.

For a mobile rig, I have seen a photo on this forum of a gantry-type setup made of wood that looked good, but from memory, I think it is BribieG who uses a ladder for the purpose.

For a normal brew of around 4-5% it isn't hard to lift the bag, but double batches like Katie makes, or bigger beers soon get a tad tiring, and I hate to see sweet wort dripping outside the urn if I move while holding the bag. Go the BIAB rig!

Crundle

*sigh* were not gonna start talking about the need for sky hooks again are we? Just lift it out, its not heavy :p

:lol:

*sigh* were not gonna start talking about the need for sky hooks again are we? Just lift it out, its not heavy :p

:lol:

Not for you it isn't. If you do doubles you need to be able to have your bag draining! If you have a 70 litre pot full of hot wort believe me the last thing you want is to bang your pot with the bag. Im not shy to admit I am a girl and yes I need help to lift the bag. Sometimes a man might not be around so a rope and pulley is a great help!

Well I am a bloke and I can tell you I wouldn't want to have to hold a bag full of 8-9kg (Edit: 11kg) of wet grain suspended over a pot while it drained. That would be fine for all of 10 seconds!

Also allows your hands to be free to take funny pictures of the grain bag! :lol:

I would estimate at least 7kgs of grain in there, and would think closer to 8kg if there was money on it. With water in the mix, who knows how much it weighs - could be double depending on how long it has been draining.

I just brew under the pergola outside, and throw a rope over a beam, with the other end attached to a hook screwed into the brickwork to hold if fast. Now thinking a pulley would be nice to add though.

For a mobile rig, I have seen a photo on this forum of a gantry-type setup made of wood that looked good, but from memory, I think it is BribieG who uses a ladder for the purpose.

For a normal brew of around 4-5% it isn't hard to lift the bag, but double batches like Katie makes, or bigger beers soon get a tad tiring, and I hate to see sweet wort dripping outside the urn if I move while holding the bag. Go the BIAB rig!

Crundle

Just looked back at a old post it was around 11 kilos of grain. As I said before even with 5kilos of grain I get a bit nervous about the bag hitting the pot and boiling wort being poured down my front. But maybe Im just a scary cat! :unsure:

so how long does it need to be drained/squeezed for? Assuming a standard amount of grain...

That was our first assisted biab about two years ago... it was a double and Im thinking about 12 kilos.

Check this photo out

View attachment 28165

Im so doing a BribieG here, Ive shown this picture quite alot.

And I dont think its off topic at all really. A valid question to see how much grain the bag and pulleys can hold!

:eek:

For a second I though that was me mother in law in bathers...

wasn't quite saggy enough though, and not enough wrinkles.... :p

I only brew every couple of weeks and when I do, the milk crates get dragged out, then my bench which goes on top, then my bricks to put on top, then the burner which sits on the bricks, drag out the gas cylinder and connect it, set up a small table alongside for utensils etc. etc. etc.
Because i brew in our entertaining area outside, once i have finished, all the equipment must then get put away where it is stored out of sight.
I just thought there must be a quicker way as the main reason why I don't brew as often as I like, Is because I never seem to have enough time.
Some sort of mobile rig, where all you have to do is add water and light the burner would be fantastic.
I mainly posted the topic to see if I could steal somone elses brilliant design. :ph34r:

Tribal.

We use a one of those folding aluminium work platforms... Its all pretty mobile just has not got wheels. If you welded all together then it would be harder to make it mobile if we wanted to brew in another location.

I only brew every couple of weeks and when I do, the milk crates get dragged out, then my bench which goes on top, then my bricks to put on top, then the burner which sits on the bricks, drag out the gas cylinder and connect it, set up a small table alongside for utensils etc. etc. etc.
Because i brew in our entertaining area outside, once i have finished, all the equipment must then get put away where it is stored out of sight.
I just thought there must be a quicker way as the main reason why I don't brew as often as I like, Is because I never seem to have enough time.
Some sort of mobile rig, where all you have to do is add water and light the burner would be fantastic.
I mainly posted the topic to see if I could steal somone elses brilliant design. :ph34r:

Tribal.

Hmm, haven't got one to show you, but have been involved in mobile blacksmith workstations before and a great base is often a ready made bench of iron or wood. If you want to get fancy you can add lockable wheels etc. Downside is that it generally gonna cost a few hundred beer coupons to get it sorted. Something like this http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/74631807 would be a good start. I know it's wood, but with a bit of insulating material (read bricks etc.) it's not too much of an issue. Expensive to buy, but pretty easy to whack one together yourself, doesn't have to be pretty, just do the job. This one from Ikea I've used before and it's takes a real pounding, I'm not too sure about some of their stainless stuff as you want it to easily take the weight of everything you're gonna put on it.

Cheers

AuntyJack

Back