Biab & Beersmith

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelinz

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has set up a mash profile and/or equipment description for BIAB in beersmith.

rgds mike

try PM-ing Spillsmostofit,

He uses Beersmith and is a somewhat prolific BIAB brewer. He might have done something. I cant really help with the computer angle I'm afraid, I use promash and just do the calculations manually. Here they are if you want them.

water into kettle = (desired post boil volume) + (boil off rate x length of boil) + (weight of grain x 0.75L)

The total volume of your mash will be the amount of water plus 2/3rds of a litre for every kg of grain. So you just need to adjust your batch size if your total volume overfills your vessel. You can however fill it right to the brim during the mash, when you pull out the bag, it will leave plenty of room to boil without any real boilover problems.

Hope that helps a little, if not, try Spills for possible pre-configured Beersmith stuff, which is of course what you actually asked for.

Cheers

Thirsty

Just wondering if anyone has set up a mash profile and/or equipment description for BIAB in beersmith.

rgds mike

Any luck with this yet, mike? I've been playing around with beersmith a bit myself ...not real sure I'm on the right track.

I'll post what i've come up with so far in the next day or two ;)

I've had a couple of goes at it and basically gave up - not because it is difficult, but because it gives me insufficient benefit for the effort.

I think the mash profile is of most benefit when you are brewing the same beer over and over again. Otherwise you pretty much have to create a new profile when you change the quantity or temperature of the grain or the mash temperature. The most I have brewed a beer with the same grain bill is probably half a dozen times.

I have a good (enough) gut feel for how much water to add to the kettle for a given final quantity and grain bill, which works for me. I will be seriously testing this assertion tomorrow when I brew with 16kg grain - possibly a world BIAB grain weight record!

What I did build was basically a two-step infusion mash where the first is your actual mash (zero rise time) and the second a 10min rise-time, 10min mash-out. I made up an equipment profile pulling values out of thin air.

Latest posts

Back