Biab Bag Life

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fodder

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering what sort of life span I should expect from my BIAB bag? I've got 3 BIAB brews under my belt and feeling quite confident that I'll be sticking with this method for some time to come. But my bag has developed a rather large hole along the seam after only these 3 brews which I assume is not normal.

Im not entirely sure what material it was made from, but I guess its not Swiss Viol as it seems more natural rather than synthetic.
Nonetheless I'll be picking up a new one Sat morning along with my grain so shouldnt be out of action of any length of time.

But before I do, any recommendations on which one people have had lasting success with or any I should try and avoid?

Or am i just doing something wrong? Actually, dont answer that... :)

Hi all,

Just wondering what sort of life span I should expect from my BIAB bag? I've got 3 BIAB brews under my belt and feeling quite confident that I'll be sticking with this method for some time to come. But my bag has developed a rather large hole along the seam after only these 3 brews which I assume is not normal.

Im not entirely sure what material it was made from, but I guess its not Swiss Viol as it seems more natural rather than synthetic.
Nonetheless I'll be picking up a new one Sat morning along with my grain so shouldnt be out of action of any length of time.

But before I do, any recommendations on which one people have had lasting success with or any I should try and avoid?

Or am i just doing something wrong? Actually, dont answer that... :)

Mate, I've got about 20 or so out of the one bag. Still looks ok, although a little discoloured. You'll get way more than 3. Just hang it on the line and hose it out after you use it. Cheers. :beerbang:
P.S Don't overload it. :beerbang:

My original bag is about 150 brews old. The original draw rope was upgraded to elastic a couple of years back.

The griffen bag has about 50 brews and the elastic needs replacing, but the seams are ok

I should add most the time these bags hold about 8kg of grain each per brew

QldKev

mmmmm...ok. I suspect the bag material is not quite up to scratch in that case.

I've been using a 5.7kg grain bill for my last 2 brews and the bag is plently big enough for it all.

Seems I pressed a little too hard whilst trying to get all the goodness out and split the seam so will need to take more care next time. And invest in a better bag.

I have just been reading good reports about the Gryphon bags but cant seem to find them on the website...have PM'd Gryph to inquire, hope thats ok...

mmmmm...ok. I suspect the bag material is not quite up to scratch in that case.

I've been using a 5.7kg grain bill for my last 2 brews and the bag is plently big enough for it all.

Seems I pressed a little too hard whilst trying to get all the goodness out and split the seam so will need to take more care next time. And invest in a better bag.

I have just been reading good reports about the Gryphon bags but cant seem to find them on the website...have PM'd Gryph to inquire, hope thats ok...

Craftbrewer has good quality bags as well. I have only used my bag for 5 or so pillow brews when i am too lazy to set up the rig and with a good soak in 100% sod perc comes up like new.

Cheers

Im up to about 20 brews in mine. 15 of those have been double batches of around 10kg and its holding up fine. Having said that, I sewed the bag myself (my first ever effort and sewing) and its over engineered to the hilt...double & triple sewing on the seams

Craftbrewer has good quality bags as well. I have only used my bag for 5 or so pillow brews when i am too lazy to set up the rig and with a good soak in 100% sod perc comes up like new.

Cheers

I've got one of the craftbrewer ones, they are great. Heaps of space. If i ever had concern over too much grain bill i'd just use 2 of them together.

Back