Biab#3 - Help Pls, Too Efficient?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've collected what's in the bottom of the kettle for an sg reading and it is always quite a bit higher than the wort in the cube even after letting it settle in the fridge overnight. I don't really understand why exactly but I've stopped doing it as it doesn't help
evaporation maybe?

If you took a reading from the bottom of the kettle after it had been sitting there all night i'm guessing that its more concentrated due to evaporation. I have made this mistake before.

Yeah I took the measurement from 4L of trub I let settle out overnight.
I didn't check the level was still 4L in the morning.
Good hypothesis with regard to evaporation.

Cracking the cube tonight or tomorrow to ferment so will report back with actual cube SG.

Will need to warm it up overnight though for pitching tomorrow, its about 4 degrees only atm. Excited.

Cheers
D80

Well, took a reading from the cube direct.

1.060 on the button.

So i boiled up a litre or two of the wort with big ball of hop pellets, for about 10 mins as per argons suggestion, added into the fermenter and topped up till i achieved 1.050 reading.

Go 25L in the fermenter and the yeasties are in. Muntons Premium Gold this time round.

Cheers all for help / suggestions.

Will see how i fair in #4.

Cheers,
D80

What was the temperature of the wort when you took the reading from the cube Diesel? Lower temps will read a little bit high(between .001 and .003) which isn't huge but is always handy to factor in if you want to be accurate. Check Wort Games' Brewery Reckoner, it's a handy reference.

Back