Better flavour from bottle, than keging it..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beak

Reaction score
Gday all. Just wondering why we are getting more flavour out of our long neck bottles than our kegs.
We usaully do 6-8 bottles with our brew and keg the rest.
Is it bottle conditioning? i know i have waited a couple of weeks before, with the fresh keg in the fridge and then carbed. But this has a no way near close taste to the bottle version of the brew.

why is it soo??

Cheers beak

ahhhh...
i forgot to add. the flavour of the hops that is! Much more hop flavour that is out of a bottle than a keg..

I dont keg so probably not the best to comment but are they carbed to the same level? No other ideas come to mind.

I`ve always found it the other way around, and I have also found that bottled homebrew taste better after spending a good fee days in the fridge. What temperature are you kegs at? If they are really cold, you could be loosing out on the hoppy goodness.

I've always found it the other way around too.. the kegged portions of my batches always taste better, and better sooner. Normally I drain the excess few litres into a bottling bucket first, then fill the keg - so any muck that gets dragged out through the tap ends up in the bottles instead of the keg. :D :p

we always drain off the first running out of the fermenter. ie about 200 ml. From there we bottle, two or three longys and then we keg. at the arse end of the fermenter we bottle sum more so we dont get any sludge in the kegs.

I find kegs taste better so far. I'd suspect you like the flavours your yeast is producing, as I think bottles taste more yeasty

motman said:
I find kegs taste better so far. I'd suspect you like the flavours your yeast is producing, as I think bottles taste more yeasty
I've noticed that with the bottles in my batches as well. It fades in time, but it takes longer than it does in the keg.

I agree with beak, finding that the conditioned bottle have a much more pronounced hop aroma and flavour than the kegged section of the brew. Is it because the hop oils are sitting on top and only end up in the bottled section? Only kegging the 38L middle section.... Maybe? Its not a yeast thing. Both have almost perfect clarity. Trying to figure out if its just the difference in carbonation methods?

Could be many reasons:
  • Carbonation in the keg is stripping some hop flavours
  • Are you refrigerating your bottles but not your kegs?
  • Yeast as mentioned above

Latest posts

Back