Best ways to get into kegging?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wereprawn

Reaction score
Hi All,
In November I will be buying a keg setup. I want a 2 keg, 2 tap system. Ebay has them for $399 with unspecified p&h. Can't find complete setups on any Aussie brewing sites. Does anyone have any advice on sourcing the gear cheaper. I have bought a fridge and plan to run the taps through the door. From now until I have the $ for this in November gives me time to thoroughly consider my options. Can get a drip tray from a mate and a co2 bottle no probs.
Cheers everyone.

I don't endorse Vittorios suggestion of stealing kegs from anywhere.

Do it the legitimate way, and buy yourself some 19L corny ball lock kegs. You can get them for as little as $50 if you look hard enough. They're small enough to take to parties, but large enough to hold 2 slabs worth.

Very naughty vittorio....you can get banned/warned about things like that

Goto a shop which sells them. Tell them what you want, ie, kegerator, kegs, gas bottle, etc, etc, and ask them to do a better price. You at least get the benefit of bricks and mortar if you have a problem (like the courier drops the fridge!).

This was as good as I could find when I shopped around about 12 months ago and I'm very happy with the setup. I notice it's out of stock atm, but maybe you could email to see when they might be back in stock. Only one tap, but I'm sure they'll sell you a second one.

mosto said:
This was as good as I could find when I shopped around about 12 months ago and I'm very happy with the setup. I notice it's out of stock atm, but maybe you could email to see when they might be back in stock. Only one tap, but I'm sure they'll sell you a second one.
Similar price to all the parts from keg king don't know what postage from Melbourne would cost you though.

thanks for the replies,
I should have put more info in my first post. What I am buying will be the kind of system mosto is referring to. There is only one HBS in Mackay and they don't sell kegs (or much at all HB beer related). Are there other types of businesses with 19 ltr kegging gear ? Soft drink distributors or bar supplies ? I'm just thinking it may be cheaper( and better, as cosmic bertie pointed out) to by locally. Also won't be paying s & h that way. Has anyone obtained their kegs through non HBS / keg retailers ?

Amber Fluid said:
Did you have a look at Connor Breware?
They have a double keg and tap pack for $299 and Ciaron provides a top service with very competitive p&h rates.

wereprawn said:
Looks good.
Only problem is keg supplies, I've had to reject the last shipment twice so the above link is temporarily disabled. Looking like they won't arrive till just before Santa.
Mods if I'm not allowed to make this sort of comment regarding link to my products please delete. Just trying to keep the post relevant when I have disabled a quoted link.

I was quoted $80 which was ok, but for some reason when I ordered it it came with free shipping so I was stoked :D All up only came to 150$

So you submitted the order with free shipping? Sounds too good to be true, but I hope it is cause I will be buying from them ASAP!

FWIW to me the advice from the likes of Ross and Anthony is worth the extra coin buying from a Qld retailer rather than eBay etc. If you don't know what you're doing you could end up with odds and ends that don't work together or have one bit missing that takes months to arrive. For me there is the added bonus of being able to pick up and see the guys in person but even without that I think it's worth it. Not to mention the fact they sponsor this site.

No affiliation etc. other than the occasional beer with Ross at various craft beer bars and the support he shows to our homebrew club, other than that completely unbiased :)

Well, ended up with this.

All from keg king.

2 pin lock 19 ltr cornies. 1 keg has a blown pressure release in the lid. Waiting for keg kings response to my email.

2 forward seal taps.

1 keg king regulator.

12 mtr gas/beer line.

1 line splitter.

clamps.

Delivered to central coast of QLD for $317.50.

Hope this helps others wanting to buy an entry level keg setup.

Put a dark ale in on Thursday. Gave the full cold keg a shake for 2 mins then set gas to 12 psi. Had a few last night and it is perfectly carbonated with a nice rocky head.

I'm hooked. Should have done it years ago.

cheers Adrian.

ed- Got gas from BOC. 6kg cylinder $15 pm rental.$45 refills.

A bit late but I once bought a regulator from the USA as part of a group buy. Mine arrived with a broken dial and the sound of something loose inside when I rattled it. Not worth pursuing as I'd only lost about sixty bux .... bought one from Ross which I should have done in the first place. Water under the bridge now, but it made my mind up for me re overseas purchases.

Annnndddd..... same with hops, the amount of hops from Hops Direct (Yakima) that I've ditched would have been more than offset by buying pounds from CraftBrewer or Hop Dealz.

Latest posts

Back