Best Temp For Amber Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About a year ago I did two brews exactly the same, one at 18 and one at 26 degrees (same yeast, S-04) and decided that the flavour differences were insignificant. YMMV.

Proof that s04 tastes like crap regardless of the ferment temp? :ph34r:

The colur will deepen and intensify as the beer clears, which will happien with bottle conditioning.

What do you recommend as an alternative, and what off-flavours will I taste have gone?

anything.......
so4 is one of those "love em or hate em" type yeasts. I couldn't give you specifics on the bad flavours....it's sooooo long since I used it, all I remember is I don't like it one bit.

Alternatives? Wyeast 1469 (which you cant get anymore) 1026 (similar availability issues) 1275 (easy to get), or even, god forbid, 1968 (yuck). Ringwood (if you don't need high attenuation, and you like esters).

Dried yeast alternatives.....nottingham for higher attenuation, windsor for lower attenuation. Both take a 2 girls one cup stance over s04 imho.

edit for emphasis.

edit take 2: direct response to original question is: best temp depends on yeast strain

Latest posts

Back