Best Option For Co2 In Perth

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahh yeah thanks for the picture ausdb now i get what your talking about. Mine doesnt have that problem the 'spigot' goes straight in!

I'll have to take a picture and show you when I get it back form being filled.

Mark blower said:
pbrosnan, Where is Gryphon Brewing, I did a search on whitepages (and google) and it showed nothing. I'm new to home brewing so I like to get around and check out different places
[post="57411"][/post]​
Guest Lurker is right, He's can supply grain, hops yeast etc plus some other bits and pieces. Try giving him an email. He is a very good brewer and a very good source of advice.

well the gas in perth has to be cheaper than up here.just paid $72 for another gas bottle.

Big D
The D size cylinder of CO2 is only about $30 for its contents. Its the bottle rental that tends to kill. The funny thing is in the eastern states AirLiquide will rent the steel cylinders for ~$15 a year over here its close to $120 for steel or ali which is why I got my own.

I understand what you are saying tho, in Perth a G size Nitrogen is about $80 and in Broome its $140. No wonder frigging people up there don't use the stuff when they are supposed to!

ausdb said:
I found Eversafe fire protection in Maddington really helpful

Well I arrived home today to find no gas in the kegs :( it shouldn't be empty so it looks like my leaving the gas on hsa finally bitten me!. I shall be calling this bloke tomorrow to see if I can organise an extinguisher (hopefully by sat!).

Luckily there is some bottled stock to fall back on, the lovely wife has also reminded me I have the sodastream I can call into service also!

A close call :ph34r:

Johns a bloody good bloke.

I'm heading down there tomorrow to pick up a lightweight steel extinguisher, diptube removed, valve instead of trigger. Mind you I had to wait a couple of weeks for him to sort it out.

Guest Lurker said:
Johns a bloody good bloke.

I'm heading down there tomorrow to pick up a lightweight steel extinguisher, diptube removed, valve instead of trigger. Mind you I had to wait a couple of weeks for him to sort it out.
[post="62721"][/post]​

I'll second that on John!

Bugger GL a valve would be nice but hey you can't have fun trying ot blow down Goats tree with a hand valve!!!

ausdb said:
Fammer said:
I don't really understand fully what your saying - you mean the 'obby' bit on the end of the reg didn't fit flush inside the ID of the head fitting?

if you take a pic to illustrate what your talking about it would help me alot.
[post="57388"][/post]​

Does this help?
View attachment 2589

Cheers

Ausdb
[post="57696"][/post]​

Ausdb,
I have a reg. like that I use on a Goliaths bottle for my party keg.
The spigot was a pain so I just machined it off , no more problem !
My BOC reg. never did have the spigot.

Batz

I noticed Roy @ TWOC had a length of high pressure gas line + fittings... the sort you use for refilling gas bottles on his shop counter when I was down there last week... He's getting into those smaller gas bottles and a refilling station.... Didn't ask him about $$$ though...

Asher for now

Batz said:
Ausdb,
I have a reg. like that I use on a Goliaths bottle for my party keg.
The spigot was a pain so I just machined it off , no more problem !
My BOC reg. never did have the spigot.

Batz
[post="62746"][/post]​

Geez Batz does that mean all that bravery was in vain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What was the final price on that setup GL ?

(didn't realise you were back - will drop the jugs around)

Goat said:
What was the final price on that setup GL ?

(didn't realise you were back - will drop the jugs around)
[post="62798"][/post]​

5 kg bottle, lightweight steel, no dip tube, valve on top, 3 years before requiring testing, full of CO2, $90 cash.

But he says hes getting a lot of calls, has been through most of the old bottles laying around, and is going to have to rummage out the back. Price can vary significantly depending on the type of bottle available. Hes not too keen on the old heavy steel bottles as they may not be considered food grade. But he says he could supply brand new bottles and still be competitive with BOC.

Yer pretty much the same as what he told me GL, waiting on a call back from him once he finishes rummaging about :)

good work perth brewers.next year will be my move to perth so will be in the market for alternatives to boc gas .

cheers
big d

Seams supply and demand is pushing the price up-
got mine yesterday 5kg with 6 years and valve :beerbang:
SEEYA BOC!

Grabbed one today, ALI cylinder 5kg with 6 yrs of life, $150. No more BOC for me. Don't this he has any steel ones left, still think its a good price.

ausdb said:
Update on my quest for a reasonably priced supply of CO2.

I found Eversafe fire protection in Maddington really helpful
U 1/ 29 Emerald Rd Maddington 6109
(08) 9493 2044

Ask to speak to John and say what you want it for, he will sell a 3.5 or 5 kg steel CO2 extinguisher that is in test, filled with the dip tube removed for about $90. Ali cylinders are more and you would need to ask him what he has in stock at the time but for just sitting next to the fridge in the shed I am happy with steel. You will need to give him a bit of warning so don't expect him to have one prepped and ready if you just walk in the door. I was in a real hurry for CO2 so at the moment mine looks like this as the dip tube is still in it, hopefully I wont need the trolley soon!
View attachment 2527

So for less than the cost of a years rental I own a cylinder with 4 more years left in test, excellent!

Cheers
Ausdb
[post="57212"][/post]​
Hi ausdb
Ive only just started running the same setup as yours ( the fire extinguisher) and it seems to work a treat. I haven,t had to yet but, where will you go to refill it? Have you tried it yet and if so where did you go? Also have heard that the gas in the extinguisher is not food grade have you had any problems and have you noticed any difference

:beer:
Beer Slayer

JasonY thats a great price, its only 1 fill and a years rental from BOC / AirLiq anyway.

Beer slayer the food grade vs non food grade has sort of been dicussed adnausem here already just search for it. The guys at eversafe are also not prepared to sell any old cylinder which may be dirty inside if its for home brew

Cheers ausdb

Yep the food grade thing has been convered before. All that said if you are concerned about food grade vs non-food grade then pay the $$$ and rent a BOC one for peace of mind. I think my liver will die before any gremlins in the gas get me :)

Was happy with the price as I needed a fill from BOC anyway due to a leaking disconnnect. I asked about refils and John said just to bring it in when you need one (about $30). At the end of the day it is just a fire extinguisher so anyone should fill it however I will take it back to Eversafe as he seems to care about what he sells you.

John at Eversafe has done a good service for us and at a good price- compared to the other companies around,id take it back to him to get it filled

Latest posts

Back