Best Craft Light Beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobjF

Reaction score
Hey Guys.
Been nearly 12 months since I last posted on here as ive been flat out getting my Cafe/bar off the ground with my wife whilost still working a full time job.
Run a list of about 15 craft beers in stubbies that i rotate constantly, as well as a couple of taps.
Since opening 15 months ago have been running Grand Ridge's Almighty light as our light beer and have been hunting around for about the last 2/3 months for something to replace it with no great success.
Would love to hear about any stand out light beers people have had around Victoria or further afield.
Thanks Rob

Never had the Punch and Judy
But never had a bad Murrays ever.
In fact have their Fred's is on the beer list at the moment and a few cases of their Black Beer BIPA is ready to go in real soon. Thanks never knew they made a mid strength will email the rep now and get a few cases to try.
The Pirate life IPA is a great beer that has graced our beer list before but needing a more middle of the road mid strength / light beer rather than something too hoppy for the country vic beer lovers who are desie driver.
Thanks for the feed back guys.

WarmerBeer said:
Pirate Life do a 3.5% "session" IPA that is pretty damn tasty.
They do indeed.

For the purposes of 'light' I'll go up to 3.5% but by shitty Australian definitions 4.5% being 'full strength' is on the light end for me anyway :p

Birbeck's Brewing Company - The Captain - American pale ale - 2.9%
Tuatara Brewery - ITI Little Big Hop APA - American pale ale - 3.3%
Nomad Brewing Co - Lost In Dubai - Belgian pale ale - 3.4%
Pirate Life Brewing - Throwback IPA - India session ale - 3.5%

Most berlinerweisse if you like them are usually 3.5%

I was surprised at how much flavour Tuatara managed to pack into ITI. Definitely worth trying, but whatever you do, don't serve it too cold. You'll lose all the malt character if you do.

peteru said:
I was surprised at how much flavour Tuatara managed to pack into ITI. Definitely worth trying, but whatever you do, don't serve it too cold. You'll lose all the malt character if you do.
Yeah, malt's hard to come by when it comes to a light one right, hops and yeast selection are usually your friend when it comes to packing flavour in to a low abv.

Yeah I don't serve anything too cold

Actually that's a lie I have my kegerator set at 2C in summer but mostly because I pour a beer swig some **** about for 10 minutes and go "Ah, that beer" and it's just right.

Bridge Road "Little Bling" IPA is a winner at 3.4%.

I also don't mind coopers mild ale at 3.5%. I had a couple last night and it's a very easy drinking session beer.

JD

Haven't tried it yet myself but I've had a few mates with reasonable taste tell me that the Fortitude Pacer is a good light drop.

If you can get it in Oz, Crouchers Lowrider is a cracking beer

I make a Saison of which I am quite fond of

Original recipe
add 6 litres water to pot
add 1200 g dried light malt extract
add 550 g dried wheat extract
bring to boil
set timer to 60 min
add 60 saaz
at 30 minutes add 20 g saaz
at flame out add 20 g saaz and the 1200 g dried light malt extract
cool
add Danstar Belle saison
after fementation 180 g dextrose to bulk prime

estimated alcohol 5.1%

would like to make a mid strength 3.5%

or a light 2.9%

I would reduce the 550 g wheat malt extract proportionately in the boil up using brewmate and reduce the 1200g light malt extract at the end accordingly using brewmate again

I need to know how much to reduce the hops either at the start or during the run

Rod said:
I make a Saison of which I am quite fond of

would like to make a mid strength 3.5%

or a light 2.9%
La Sirène Brewing - Saisonette - 3.8%

Thanks for all the great feed back guys.
Colonials Small Ale was one of my fav beers of 2015. Had it whilst over west in Freo sail ands anchor. Great beer. DU the cafe is in Seymour The Brewers Table. Thanks again guys. Putting in an order for some Punch and Judy.

Not exactly the type of "craft beer" i'm guessing you're after, but i'd point out Roger's Ale by Little Creatures is a pretty good drop (at ~3.8% i think). You could certainly do worse, and it should be appealing to both craft and non-craft beer drinkers. Just an idea

Fortitude Brewing Pacer is a very tasty light pale. Comes in at about 2.8% I think.

Back