Belgium Ale And Belgium Candi

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitternacht Brauer

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a question regarding Belgium ale and candi . Can you estimate or calculate alc % when you add Candi during fermentation ?

OG was 1062 Well below predicted but thats another story.
Measured SG before adding 500g of candi 1050.
Lots of frothing form air lock (2 days worth)
Just measured SG of 1035

So sample from test tube was great and just interested in Alc % ?

Anyone else add candi during fermentation and do you think its worth while ?

Wouldn't you just calculate the %alc by getting the (OG-FG)/7.46 and maybe add a % or 2 for priming sugar?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that's how its done regardless of the ingredients.

Now if you add more candi after measuring your OG you'd need to work out how many points you'd get...and that's a bit beyond me but other should be able to help...

Andrew.

{edit: typo}

Yes you can, you just have to work out the contribution of the sugar that you added. For that you need the specs on the candi sugar (I'm assuming something like this) which contributes 32PPPG (points per pound per gallon) .... US units. As it turns out that bottle is one pound so if you put that whole bottle in your 5 gallon brew you should have increased the OG by 32/5 = 6.4.

So your OG is now 1.068 and you can calculate the alc% when you measure your FG.

I prefer to add this at the end of the boil to make sure it is dissolved in the wort fully but you should be fine.

Latest posts

Back