Belgian Triple/ipa Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be bottling these in a couple days. The FG on both of them ended at 1007. That puts the IPA at about 11% once bottle conditioned and the tripel at 10%. I was aiming for less than that. I dry hopped with 20g of citra in the 15L of the IPA (ran out of Galaxy but the citra should work well in the beer).

Hydro samples were tasting great, but haven't sampled since addint the citra, though it smells excellent.

Quick update, the beer is well carbed and drinking well by now. The hop aroma and flavour is somewhat underwhelming. The head retention was great for such a big beer, thank to the hops and the oats. I think the malt bill for this was great.

I think the volume of CO2 driven off as it made it's way up to 11% is to blame as well as me being a bit tentative with the fruity hops after this thread.

I plan on doing another one and use more late hopping but mainly I think I'd up the dry hopping as well as do some french pressed hops. The phenols in the yeast works quite well with the citra and galaxy. I'd probably use them again but I have a fair bit of centennial and some Chinook flowers that I am just harvesting.

So when I do it again I will

- Add more late hops/dry hops
- Reduce the alcohol down to around 8-9% (is 11% really neccesary???)
- not bother with the hallertau I had used
- I'll use some centennial and chinook late, but that's just because I have a fair bit on hand
- Might use pale ale malt, as I don't really use Pils for anything else.

I've been drinking the revised version of this, which turned out very nice, but turned out alot cloudier than I was expecting but I did a number of things to rush things that I would not reccomend to anyone. Consequently this beer is reserved for myself as it looks embarrassing but thats good because it tastes beautiful.

A few tips for people looking to brew this style.

- choose the right yeast, you want more spice than fruit from the yeast here. Forbidden fruit is what I used and seems perfect as it (contradictory to it's name) has alot more spice than fruit. The belgian ardennes should work fairly well if you keep the temp down as well as some others. I haven't tried it in a recipe like this but I'd expect the dry yeast wb-06 to work really well for this. I plan on using this on my next version to see how it turns out. If using less fruity hops (along the lines of an english ipa) the fruityness from the yeast should work well.

- The stronger the beer (alcohol wise) the more co2 is produced in the beer to carry aroma away, consider compensating with alot more late hops or late hopping after the bulk of fermentation has happened.

- you can either think of it as a tripel with fruity late hopping or an american IPA with belgian yeasts so you can interpret it differently. Below I took it as more of a belgian blonde with american late hopping.

- Consider keeping the alcohol levels lower for belgian styles. It makes it easier keeping the yeast character more under control and hop aroma present. Also means you can enjoy more of them before you lose your ability to taste them.

recipe for the recent good version is

50% pale ale
30% vienna
13% wheat
2% oats (malted oats is idea, but I chucked in quick oats because I didn't have any on hand)
5% light candy sugar

1068 was my OG, og was 1011 from memory

clean bittering hops to 20IBU @60 mins
cube hopped 5g/L centennial
cube hopped .5 g/l Chinook

the chinook was some left over flowers from my (small) crop

Total IBU was 65 assuming cube hopping is equivalent to 15 minuts of boiling.

Once I've done another version I'll post a recipe online.

Latest posts

Back