Belgian Stout Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilArge

Reaction score
Doing a bit of a clean-out of specialty malts and yeast and thought that a Belgian Stout might just do the job... Found this recipe in a NZ homebrew book... what do you think? Is it a bit too kitchen-sinky?

Cheers ToG
Belgian Stout
Batch Size: 22.00 L Boil Size: 26.80 L Boil Time: 90 min Efficiency: 75.00 %

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
5.81 g Calcium Chloride (Mash) Water Agent 1 - -
4.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash) Water Agent 2 - -
5.40 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC) Grain 3 63.1 % 3.52 L
0.91 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC) Grain 4 10.6 % 0.59 L
0.45 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 5 5.3 % 0.29 L
0.45 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1398.7 EBC) Grain 6 5.3 % 0.29 L
0.45 kg Special B Malt (354.6 EBC) Grain 7 5.3 % 0.29 L
0.45 kg Wheat, Torrified (3.3 EBC) Grain 8 5.3 % 0.29 L
0.45 kg Candi Sugar, Dark [Boil] (541.8 EBC) Sugar 9 5.3 % 0.32 L
28.00 g Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 20.7 IBUs -
28.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 11 8.8 IBUs -
15.00 g Fuggle [4.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min, 90.2 C Hop 12 0.0 IBUs -
1.0 pkg Belgian Abbey II (Wyeast Labs #1762)
Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color
Est Original Gravity: 1.090 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 10.0 %
Bitterness: 29.4 IBUs

Is it kitchen-sinky? Yes, absolutely - 4 spec malts and an adjunct all at 5%, plus using pils malt for a stout....
BUT, if you're just trying to use up some old spec malts and want to get rid of them ASAP, then why not? I will say that with 5% choc and 5% RB it will be interesting to see if they meld nicely with everything or overwhelm

Is it kitchen-sinky? Yes, absolutely - 4 spec malts and an adjunct all at 5%, plus using pils malt for a stout....
BUT, if you're just trying to use up some old spec malts and want to get rid of them ASAP, then why not? I will say that with 5% choc and 5% RB it will be interesting to see if they meld nicely with everything or overwhelm
Cheers Goatchop. And then there's the Special B... Yes, I'm wondering if the 5% RB is going to be a bit harsh in this...

Special B will be lovely, the dried fruit flavours from it are glorious in Belgians. I've seen other stout recipes with that much dark malt that were supposedly quite nice, so it might be ok. Perhaps a cold steep of the choc malt and RB overnight before the brew and then add that steep water in late in the boil? You'll still get your colour and the flavours, but maybe avoid the harshness and acrid flavour that could detract distract from the Belgian yeast

you didnt mebtion mash temp but I'd suggest make sure it is high. will need that malty backbone or it will be watery dry

Special B will be lovely, the dried fruit flavours from it are glorious in Belgians. I've seen other stout recipes with that much dark malt that were supposedly quite nice, so it might be ok. Perhaps a cold steep of the choc malt and RB overnight before the brew and then add that steep water in late in the boil? You'll still get your colour and the flavours, but maybe avoid the harshness and acrid flavour that could detract distract from the Belgian yeast
That's an excellent suggestion re: the darkest malts - I'll do that. Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back