Belgian Beer Kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mika

Lupulin Threshold Shift Victim
Reaction score
Hey all,
don't know if this is just new to WA, but just got told by local HBS that they've got these Belgian beer kits in by Brewferm.
Doing a bunch of different styles, including;
Ambiorix
Diabolo
Christmas
Grand Cru
Triple
Gallia
Kriek Cherry Beer
Framboos Raspberry Beer (not the right spellign me thinks)

Can't wait to get back from Holidays and try brewing the Kriek in the New Year.

Anyone else made these before ? If so how did they work out ?

havent heard of these before but will be very interested in any results from fellow brewers.

cheers
big d

Can send the datasheet on to anyone who wants, just didn't want to break forum rules by "plugging" a retailler.

Grain and Grape have started selling these kits. I have also seen them advertised in the US Brew Your Own magazine for the last couple of years.

I think they generally make 7-10L (or so) batches with the addition of candy sugar. Not sure if they come with yeast.

I too would like to know what the quality is like as they are pricier than normal kits. It would be a good way though to try the various styles without having to drink a whole 20L batch.

Have a look at www.brewferm.be - you will find all the details there. Volumes depend on final alcohol content and style and vary from 9 litres to 15 litres. And yes, there is a dry yeast with each can. We also have a simplified English language instruction sheet if anybody wants it.

BIG affiliation declaration - we are the importers.

Wes

Wes, will you ever import the brewferm malt kits? They look pretty good too

We have a problem with the malt kits in getting AQIS approval. Normally malted grain requires a Phytosanitary Certificate issued by the country of origin stating the genus and certifying that no insects or other banned animals or grains are present. When the different malts are mixed we cant get that.

We are still investigating though.

Wes

just didn't want to break forum rules by "plugging" a retailler.
???
BIG affiliation declaration - we are the importers
:rolleyes:

i wish there was a way of telling who's the sheep and who's the wolves :ph34r:

i hope ya cashed up mika_lika cause they are not cheap, i think your looking $43 a can....

OCC said:
i hope ya cashed up mika_lika cause they are not cheap, i think your looking $43 a can....
[post="98383"][/post]​

:blink: Damn, didn't know that. Maybe not so interested now :unsure:
Especially if there's only 15 litres in a batch.

Thought it wasn't a good thing to "plug" retaillers on a public forum.. Am I wrong ?

People in WA have some sort of Malty House (cryptic) where they do a lot of home brewing :ph34r:

Damn, didn't know that. Maybe not so interested now
Especially if there's only 15 litres in a batch.

still would work out cheaper than buying a case of belgians! ;)

True enough Sam.... but, otoh, could be a complete waste of $40 if the resultant product is not up to standard.

dreamboat

Yeah that is very true dreamboat.

I don't think I've actually heard of anybody's results with these kits. I have been thinking aobut doing one but after AGing, I'm not sure if I wanna do another K & K.

I have been bitten :D

I brought back a Brewferm Framboizen kit from a trip to Belgium in 2000 after a shopping trip at The Bier Tempel just for kicks. :rolleyes: IIRC I paid about 15 euro for it even back then. That's about $30 Aus. + or - a couple of dollars.

How did it taste? Not too bad actually even though I'm not a big fruit beer fan so I don't know what possessed me. Was probably the tourist factor. :lol: I made it up as per the instructions and added some dextrose. Fermented it with a (I think) Belgian yeast from memory and added 15ml of food grade lactic acid at bottling. Not at my old computer ATM :unsure: . I may check later.

Got some good reviews at a HB club meeting a few years ago. I'm even inclined to think there's still a bottle or 2 loitering under the house. Must crawl under and investigate one day it would be nudging 5 years old now.

Could be about to lose an eye here. :ph34r:

Warren -

My post so I'll hijack if I want to :)
What's the food grade lactic acid do for the brew ??

Sours the beer over time. Read; acid. :)

Was worried about the kit finishing to sweet like a Belle Vue Kriek or Framboizen. I used the acid to balance the sweetness. Worked like a charm. :beer:

Warren -

Cool, that 15ml for how much beer ?
U tried it for any other brew ?

15ml was added to 15 litres IIRC. Just worked on the 1ml per litre theory. Only other beer I've tried it on was a Belgian Wit. Didn't particularly care for it. Thought the sourness was a bit one-dimensional. <_<

Warren -

Back