Belgan Rasberry Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im using the 550 as its one that have already i might cut it back to 1.2 then

Should come out pretty nice. I'd ferment it at the cooler end of the range if you can to keep the Belgian flavours under control. A rasberry abbey style would be a bit much I think (and much less popular with the chicks :D ).

Cheers
Dave

ok it shouldnt be a problem for the temp at the moment my ale thats going at the moment is at 17-18 most of the day with no idea about at night. prepped 300g of raspberries today to add tomorrow to the rest of the mix after i mix it up.

ok i mixed it up but i changed the recipe again so here it is
1 wals wheat
1.5kg of liquid wheat malt
16g of pacific Hallertau
1kg of raspberries( 300 in the primary,the rest in the secondary)
and fermented with white labs Belgian ale wlp550.
its down stairs fermenting as we speak at room temp ie 18

ok i mixed it up but i changed the recipe again so here it is
1 wals wheat
1.5kg of liquid wheat malt
16g of pacific Hallertau
1kg of raspberries( 300 in the primary,the rest in the secondary)
and fermented with white labs Belgian ale wlp550.
its down stairs fermenting as we speak at room temp ie 18

All the best, Barls. It sounds pretty good!
Let us know how it turns out (and your berry-bits filtering method!).

ok its been in the secondary now for a while, it has finished fermenting im just waiting for the Krausen to drop before i transfer it again this time in to a cube to be cced for a little while before bottling. it tastes and looks very similar to the frambrose by belview. it was at 1008 last time i measured it

ok now sitting in the fridge ccing god its a nice colour just got to figure out a way to reduce the berry bits

I put raspberries into the pilsener i laid down to CC a week or so ago:

I boiled a washed pair of stockings, drained it because the water became the same colour as the stockings, and reboiled it until the colour stopped leaching out. I fed a kilo of mildly thawed raspberries into one leg of the stocking, pushed that leg into the other (for a double cover), tied it up, and fed it into my jerry can.

Currently it appears absolutely pipless/chunkless, but has turned a nice reddish colour and has a nice aroma. I'll post when I bottle it next week on it's raspberriness and apparent chunkiness.

I put raspberries into the pilsener i laid down to CC a week or so ago:

I boiled a washed pair of stockings, drained it because the water became the same colour as the stockings, and reboiled it until the colour stopped leaching out. I fed a kilo of mildly thawed raspberries into one leg of the stocking, pushed that leg into the other (for a double cover), tied it up, and fed it into my jerry can.

Currently it appears absolutely pipless/chunkless, but has turned a nice reddish colour and has a nice aroma. I'll post when I bottle it next week on it's raspberriness and apparent chunkiness.

All the best for your raspberry-stocking pilsener!

At the moment the tea strainer's working fine, but I'll be doing the stocking method next time for sure.

At the moment the tea strainer's working fine, but I'll be doing the stocking method next time for sure.

I found that just transfering from the secondary to another container (tertiary) and CCing that for a few days was enough to make all the rasberry bits settle out. Clear beer, no stockings required.

I'll be putting on a batch with my revised recipe in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Cheers
Dave

Just sampled a bit of my raspberry pilsener from my jerry can, a pale pink colour and even produced a touch of head :eek:.

Tasted like... well, a raspberry wine. Seems to be lacking any bit of sweetness (something I was after). I'm assuming the leftover yeast has eaten all the natural sugars in the raspberries.

Anyone has any ideas on how to boost the sweetness? It's been in the cube for nearly 2 weeks and I was intending to bottle on Wednesday but will postpone if need be.

Ta.

Just sampled a bit of my raspberry pilsener from my jerry can, a pale pink colour and even produced a touch of head :eek:.

Tasted like... well, a raspberry wine. Seems to be lacking any bit of sweetness (something I was after). I'm assuming the leftover yeast has eaten all the natural sugars in the raspberries.

Anyone has any ideas on how to boost the sweetness? It's been in the cube for nearly 2 weeks and I was intending to bottle on Wednesday but will postpone if need be.

Ta.

Adamt

My rasberry was pretty dry too. The batch I'll make in the next coule of weeks I am adding 5% or so of a ligh crystal malt to leave a bit of residual sweetness. I may even move the mash temp up a degree to get some more dextrins that way.

If you are doing an extract brew, steeping some crystal malt would be the way to go for the next batch. Don't know what you can do with the current one...

Cheers
Dave

Bottled it today; racked it from the jerry can and brought it to room temp to bulk prime.

I removed the stocking and squeezed the heck out of it and added the squeezings to the rest of the brew. Tasted it after I squeezed everything I could out and it was noticeably sweeter (not actually sweet by any means, but no cheek puckering : <_< ).

Added priming solution and bottled.

I'm praying they don't explode; they were pretty heady when i bottled :blink:

i tried mine the other day and its great. its not overpowering but is well balanced with no fruit chunks and will be used in the small swap for christmas

here is a pic of it in a glass sorry its taken so long to post
DSCF00162.jpg

here is a pic of it in a glass sorry its taken so long to post
DSCF00162.jpg

Looks pretty good. I bottled by latest batch yesterday. It was tasting pretty good out of the secondary. I'll post a picture & recipe in a week or 2 once it has carbonated.

Less rasberry flavour than the last batch. I used diferent rasberries this time and they may not have had as much flavour.

Cheers
Dave

it was that good that im going to have to do it again as i only have the bottles left for the swap thank god i put them away

Ta.

Adamt,
Sounds like an intruiging (sp) brew. Something I'd like to give a go to in the not to distant future.

Just a thought on the sweetness. What about adding some Lactose, as in sweet stouts. OR you could do what wine makers do and use some metabisulphate to knock the yeast on the head before adding the fruit. Carbonation is a problem if you are a bottler but shouldn't be a prob if you keg.

my 2c

Floculator

Tim

Latest posts

Back