Beersmith Vs Promash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back Yard Brewer

I HAVE A WIFE THAT UNDERSTANDS
Reaction score
After chatting to Ross yesterday I decided to download the trial version of BeerSmith. I have a copy of ProMash as well. I must comment at this stage how easier BeerSmith seems to use. Like ProMash there is a wealth of info.The BeerSmith platform seems a lot easier to navigate around. Of course it will take some time to make use of all the info, but as a start I am impressed. Was wondering what the consensus on both is from brewers on this forum. I may open the wallet and get BeerSmith.

BYB

After chatting to Ross yesterday I decided to download the trial version of BeerSmith. I have a copy of ProMash as well. I must comment at this stage how easier BeerSmith seems to use. Like ProMash there is a wealth of info.The BeerSmith platform seems a lot easier to navigate around. Of course it will take some time to make use of all the info, but as a start I am impressed. Was wondering what the consensus on both is from brewers on this forum. I may open the wallet and get BeerSmith.

BYB

I love BeerSmith. Couldn't make any sense out of promash!

In my life I have never paid for any software.. except Beersmith. It has been a great tool in improving my AG brews and I would not trade it for the world ;)

I have had a bit of a play with Promash but found it a bit mundane. No thats not Anthony ;)

In my life I have never paid for any software.. except Beersmith. It has been a great tool in improving my AG brews and I would not trade it for the world ;)

I have had a bit of a play with Promash but found it a bit mundane. No thats not Anthony ;)

Beersmith is a simple tool to play with. It's not the definitive answer but it will satisfy your needs until your needs get bigger. That said I've seen the Promash recipe system and those who know how to use it, use it well.

If you are not a geek, use Beersmith. It'll help.

If you are more than average around computer software and really into that type of thing, Promash will probably be your huckleberry.

Horses for courses.

I would argue that far from being a beginners tool, Beersmith is actually much more flexible and superior software to Promash (have tried both...) If anything, Beersmith is geekier.

I would argue that far from being a beginners tool, Beersmith is actually much more flexible and superior software to Promash (have tried both...) If anything, Beersmith is geekier.

Your call, I think Beersmith more user friendly for old farts like me. I couldn't easily work out Promash, but seen how good the results are for people who use it well.

I've tried all three. Beersmith, Promash and Beer tools pro. Im by no means a geek, but i do work with computers and software everyday for work.

Beersmith for me was the easiest by far, but thats just for me dosn't mean everyone will find it easy. Beer Tools pro is good though i love playing round in it from time to time.

As for the boundaries of brewing capabilities in each of the programs...?

Its like making music with software...fruity loops (music making program) is called the kids way to make music and yet heaps of pro's use it and make great music and swear by it. why? at the end of the day its all about the person on the keyboard and what they can do and creativity they create.

I am a "geek" and have a very high understanding of computers and all involved. I still think Promash is a bit antiquated and far inferior to Beersmith. Not only in ease of use but the options available to the brewer, if you dig deep enough there are alot of excellent tools in Beersmith!

EDIT: Spelling

I own copies of both Beersmith & Beertools Pro. I tend to gravitate towards Beersmith (but that may be just because I started out using it first). Beersmith does have a few glitches (like post boil additions of fermentables affecting the efficiency into the kettle for example) but overall it's a great, & easy enough to use program.

I too am ex-ProMash, now BeerSmith. I had a good hard look at BeerToolsPro and nearly went that way exclusively until BeerSmith 1.4 came out and more or less made up the feature gap between the two, and BTP was still lacking a thing or two I liked about BeerSmith. That said an update of BTP is apparently due "Real Soon Now" ...

promash may be a fantastic program (I dont know), but if there's one thing that can be said about it, it's that they need to dump the entire GUI and start over. It looks and feels like you're using a windows 3.11 application.

Beersmith or Promash - it doesn't matter squat - YOU brew the beer not the program. It is MERELY a tool. A number cruncher and a database, that's all.
Interestingly most (OK, all I have met) professional (who truly do it and only IT for a living) microbrewers use Promash. (please excuse all the brackets). (Sorry).
Why?
Could be familiarity - what is the norm in the past/pretty well bombproof/if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Could be that because the Men In Black in Excise (If you've been been visited by them you'll know exactly what I mean) are happy with Promash as an approved suitable data management system from an excise perspective, naturally you would have all this data stored in hard/paper Excise approved format (of course, we dare not think otherwise).
Don't use it just because the pro's do, though.
When discussing brew ideas, pretty well all experienced microbrewers I have been fortunate to have met can do a lot of the calcs to a reasonable standard in their remaining brain cell anyway.
If it records what you did, lets you plan what you want to do, and keeps a track of what you have in stock, then use it.
MOST importantly, use it to improve your beer, to be consistent, to approach things analytically, not just 'Hey, lets try this for shits and giggles this time'.
Even more importantly, if you are going to swing by the Steam Exchange, drop off a stubby - down here we get heaps of old codgers telling us how fantastic their beers are (apparently you can use a kilo of home brand sugar instead of the official CSR stuff, and its just as good :huh: ), but aren't willing to actually give us a sample...

Cheers & Beers

Is there a list of feature comparisons between the relative software anywhere ?
I'm a Promash user and find it more than adequate for the job, got a bunch of things in there that I'll probably never use, so wondering what are all these 'excellent tools' that people mention ?

I bought ProMash (a somewhat naive move) because so many people seemed to be using it, and posting recipe info generated by it.
As many have commented, it is antiquated and hard to use.
I'm an embedded software engineer, and used to dealing with hard-to-use software.
When it comes to brewing, I don't want a brain workout just navigating the software.
I'm thinking of going to BeerSmith.

By the way, if you want basic software that's VERY easy to use, and FREE :excl: have a look at QBrew.

I downloaded both trial versions and ended up buying BeerSmith. Promash I never got my head around but I was educated by Beersmithers.

I have written some database-based programs for some awkward businesses in the past just using Microsoft Access and so I'm a little surprised that these brewing programs have some very basic flaws...

1. You cannot open two or more recipes at once. (So you can't compare two or more recipes or anything to do with them on screen.)

2. You cannot even open a tool without having to close your recipe view. How annoying is that? I find myself having to write down answers from a tool with pen and paper and then re-type them in an appropriate section. WTF?

Here's just one example...

I reckon a good program should enable you to type in your desired IBU's (in Recipe View), your AA rating and then for it to tell you how many grams of hops are needed. At the moment you have to type in your grams and see how many IBU's you score in a totally dedicated window! It's like a game of twenty questions though you do get better at it.

After seeing what just one or two people did here (Phrak and AdamT) with the BIAB spreadsheet in such a short time, I'm sure that AHBrs, as a collaborative effort, could come up with something far superior to Beersmith or Promash. In fact, from memory, I think Phrak and Adamt actually solved the above hop problem in that little spreadsheet.

If they can do it then why can't the wealth of IT people on this forum collaborate and produce something that excels these programs?

I'm sure many people would really enjoy contributing and I'd certainly love to see the end result! Be great fun and a real notch under AHB's belt.

Could be a Wikki thingo???

Pat

PS If there's any support for this idea then I'll alert Phrak as he has some skills in co-ordinating collaborative computer efforts.

And a damn good after 11pm post is it too.....all good points raised Pat. I've often thought that Promash was just a little unwieldy and backwards in this respect, the only thing is though if you are using only one hops addition, then you could request an IBU and have it tell you the correct amount to add, but it would get difficult the minute you started adding more hops additions, because it would be near impossible to have software work that out intuitively unless it was doing so in reference to a set recipe - ie: the program proportionally scaling a set hop bill up or down to hit a requested IBU.
Then add in the variables that differing grainbill and brew size, evaporation etc that affect the final IBU would make, things would start to get very complicated and probably not work. (well I don't reckon it would work...)

Nice idea though :)

1. You cannot open two or more recipes at once. (So you can't compare two or more recipes or anything to do with them on screen.)
Beersmith or Promash.

This is a big one. This leads on too, the most annoying thing I find is that you can't open a recipe and your inventory (unless there's a way I don't know about)
So if I am making last minute changes or trying to knock up a recipe from what I have you can restrict what appears to only inventory items, but you can't see how much of those items you have... Again, unless there's a way I haven't found yet. To be honest, I haven't spent a long time trying to do it, which perhaps I should...

But yes, another one for beersmith, particularly as I started using it as an extract/mini mash brewer, for whom it excels, particularly 1.4...

Beersmith all the way. Love that program.

It's like a visual aid for my brewing fantasies while I'm at work.

I love being able to look back at all the recipes I have brewed, and plan for what's to come next.

Latest posts

Back