Beersmith Crashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank

Reaction score
I have had BeerSmith for a while now with no problems. This afternoon I was working on a recipe and BeerSmith crashed and closed down. Each time I open the program, I can enter into all tabs no problem, as soon as I open My Recipe's or Sample Recipes, I get the pop up that BeerSmith has stopped working.
I am running Vista OS, on a 6 month old computer, and after it does the websearch for repairs, this message comes up:
BeerSmith Brewing Program has stopped working.
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

When this occurred I was changing the price of some of the Hops on the data base. I know I could reload the program, but I don't want to lose the Recipes and additions of Hops and Grains I have made.
I have performed 2 complete shutdowns of the computer, but has not helped. So I am wondering if any one else has had similar problems that they have been able to fix. I have not contacted BeerSmith direct yet, that is stage 2.

have you tried running the program as WinXP compat mode? right click, properties and set to winXP.

Boston, first up, go to the folder that has beersmith in it...there'll be a fairly sizeable .bsm file in there, called 'recipe'. This is the 'my recipe' folder in compressed format....copy it to another location. In fact, copy out any .bsm files in the root directory. That will have your yeast, equipment setups, etc. Just in case you end up having to reinstall...if you've backed these up, you should (note italics) be able to just drop them back in after a reinstall.

OK. Not sure what happened but it is fixed now. Started to follow Quantocks recommendations, and was checking through the tabs and saw that somehow I (user) had not been given Authority to use this program, and had been changed to Administrator having authority. Changed it back to me and allowed allowed me to enter the Recipe data base again. I think I will follow Butters advice and take a back up of data files to be sure. Thanks

OK. Not sure what happened but it is fixed now. Started to follow Quantocks recommendations, and was checking through the tabs and saw that somehow I (user) had not been given Authority to use this program, and had been changed to Administrator having authority. Changed it back to me and allowed allowed me to enter the Recipe data base again. I think I will follow Butters advice and take a back up of data files to be sure. Thanks

Gremlins Boston, Gremlins

gremlins.jpg

Latest posts

Back