Beersmith 3

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ckilner

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Beersmith 3 water adjustment? I normally use BrunWater and have done for many years but I thought I'd have a look at what Beersmith 3 offers just 'cos it's raining outside and I've not got a brew to do.
I seems to come back with some strange numbers.

Last edited:
I've noticed the same as well. I am able to access the local water profile which is updated annually.
I prefer to use Beersmith because it sets the salt additions directly into the recipe.
I usually to make Heffeweizens and Australian Sparkling Ales.
Beersmith seems to work for me.

I use BS3, and I have had my local filtered water tested. That's what I use as my base water, and BS3 then calculates the additions to reach my style target water. What's your starting point before additions? The figures you quoted earlier do seem very high.

I use BS3, and I have had my local filtered water tested. That's what I use as my base water, and BS3 then calculates the additions to reach my style target water. What's your starting point before additions? The figures you quoted earlier do seem very high.
Hi Rob
who did your testing and what was the cost?

Hi Rob
who did your testing and what was the cost?

It was done at no charge, as a promotional to encourage brewers to use this service. It was done on the water after it went through my kitchen water filtration system. It was organised by DrSmurto, who I believe was working there at the time.
I've sent you a PM with the details. Of course, my water comes from the Tomaree sandbanks, whereas yours would not, so the results would be different.

BM3 recipe

10kg Maris Otter
50L Mash
10L Sparge
Kettle top-up: 14.4L
Pre-boil vol: 64.42L
Post boil vol: 60.42
Target profile: Hoppy Pale Ale

Using BM3 to generate the water adjustment figures and then feeding those into BrunWater gives the following:

1604055998914.png

Magnesium seems rather high and the S04/CL ratio is high

Actually, I think my first impressions were wrong. I've worked with the BS3 water additions some more and used the BW model and it's closer to what I expect than I originally thought.
Apart from the S04/Cl ratio question (the fact that it seems high), my other question is the kettle top up water. The salt additions are made to the Mash and Sparge water but what about the top up water? What additions are made to that?
When I brew, I add the top-up water to the fermenter rather than to the boil because there isn't sufficient room in the BM50. In BS3 I can't see how to allocate some to sparge and the rest to fermenter top up - any volume I add to the fermenter top-up doesn't get subtracted from the sparge volume.

Actually, I think my first impressions were wrong. I've worked with the BS3 water additions some more and used the BW model and it's closer to what I expect than I originally thought.
Apart from the S04/Cl ratio question (the fact that it seems high), my other question is the kettle top up water. The salt additions are made to the Mash and Sparge water but what about the top up water? What additions are made to that?
When I brew, I add the top-up water to the fermenter rather than to the boil because there isn't sufficient room in the BM50. In BS3 I can't see how to allocate some to sparge and the rest to fermenter top up - any volume I add to the fermenter top-up doesn't get subtracted from the sparge volume.
I have Bru'n water and treat mash and sparge and same as you I top up fermenter to get correct gravity
All I use is water out of my 2 stage filter and boil and chill before use. Never worry about any extra salts

It was done at no charge, as a promotional to encourage brewers to use this service. It was done on the water after it went through my kitchen water filtration system. It was organised by DrSmurto, who I believe was working there at the time.
I've sent you a PM with the details. Of course, my water comes from the Tomaree sandbanks, whereas yours would not, so the results would be different.
Thanks Rob
Yes my water is from Grahamstown. I have the Hunter Water analysis but that would change after filtering I suppose

Back