Beer Tracking Software/apps/sites

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. No-Tip

Reaction score
I decided I need to start keeping track of what I drink and what I think of it.

I've taken a quick look around - a few iOS apps but they are isolated on the iPhone. Ratebeer is good when you're researching a beer, but from what I've seen doesn't seem to act as much like a beer journal. I've been checking out brewtrackr the last week or so. It looks ok, but lacks many Aussie beers and I have to submit each one for approval as I add it.

Is anyone else undertaking this pedantic task?

I've used some in the past for personal ref, these days i've just got a word file i update from time to time attatched to my domain. That way it's always available, worldwide when i need it for work or play.

i have a log of beers I have tasted that is part of my general brewing log, each beer rated for head,appearance,aroma, taste and overall mark.

Every so often I add these to a spreadsheet I have that keeps track of all of them, rating from high to low....amazing how many beers end up on the low side.

I've got these weird things made out of mulched up trees in which I etch primitive symbols that I use when drinking abroad.

Any beer I drink here I presume I can get again so I just remember if I like it or not.

It isn't a perfect system but it does stop me from putting an electronic wall up between me and the people I'm drinking with.

Best app by far is 'Untappd'. Suitable for iphone/ipad etc and its free.

It allows you to rate beers, locations etc and this can be posted onto twitter, facebook etc

You also get to earn badges, a great deal of fun can be had.

I use a free Iphone app called the Brewers Nose from Cascade brewery. It allows you to scan a barcode and add your own tasting notes whilst providing information about the beer and a video clip on food pairing. And no its not just for Cascade brewed beers, Ive added many craft brewed beers from hre an O/S.

But the most useful app I have that I use for beer and brewing is Springpad. I have different notebooks setup such as brewing tips, beers Ive tasted or want to try, recipes, etc. I can scan bar codes, add bookmarks, notes, record audio, pdfs, pictures etc and I use the Springpad widget on google Chrome to add stuff direct from my PC to access on my Iphone later. Ive added lots of information from this site and other brewing sites to it.

Yeah i've played around with Untappd for iphone - nice idea>
Needs a bit of UI work.. i'ts a bit confusing

I use the silly notepad on apple iphones.
Only because i cbf'ed looking for something else and it automatically gets backed up to the magical apple cloud.

Up to 215 at the moment.

I use untappd a lot to keep tack of the beers I have had. Makes for interesting reading the morning after a big night out. I wouldn't recomend it if you want to need detailed notes but its a fun way of rembering your drinks and seeing what your mates are drinking.

I use untapped for android, its nice and basic, not something for any real serious notes but if the next day after a nice session I can't remember something i've had it makes checking back easy.

I use my brain. Which usually results in forgetting the beer and having to try it again. It's tough but I manage.

Beerlog brewvault - approx 1 buck legit or free/whatever it costs you to be Jailbroken with install0us.. Unfortunately it lacks some of the tasting/aroma/appearance categories I usually require (you can check boxes for each category), but i note them in the notes section of the app. Not bad to click buttons instead of type notes - especially after a few.
Otherwise, iPhone notes FTW.

Edit: 1 buck! not 3.

Thought I'd hit this thread back up with what I ended up doing. Still weighing up between BrewTrackr, which has its own network, and beerbuddy, which interfaces into ratebeer.com and has a barcode scanner. Think I might settle with the latter.

I was on BeerAdvocate for a while, but moved to a personal spreadsheet, and now database note system, for a couple of reasons:

1. Who the hell am I to publicly judge commercial and craft beers?

2. I make my notes for me.

3. Too many w@nkers/beer snobs on BeerAdvocate (NB this does not mean I love VB), especially compared to this place.

But I can definitely recommend finding a system that works for you as I think this is the number one reason my beer has improved over the last couple of years.

How much would people be willing to pay for an app which offered the whole deal?

ive been alternating between untapped and pintly. pintly is good but has a limited beer library which you cant add to. where as untapped allows users to add beers if they arent in the library

I said that BeerBuddy had Beeradvocate integration. I think it might actually be ratebeer....

1. Who the hell am I to publicly judge commercial and craft beers?

2. I make my notes for me.

I tend to agree on both counts, but this app allows you to keep local notes while using the wider DB.

How much would people be willing to pay for an app which offered the whole deal?

I paid something in the order of $4 for this beerbuddy app. I think it's worth it through because of the ratebeer/beeradvocate integration - it has had every beer I've looked for so far.

Truman said:
I use a free Iphone app called the Brewers Nose from Cascade brewery. It allows you to scan a barcode and add your own tasting notes whilst providing information about the beer and a video clip on food pairing. And no its not just for Cascade brewed beers, Ive added many craft brewed beers from hre an O/S.

But the most useful app I have that I use for beer and brewing is Springpad. I have different notebooks setup such as brewing tips, beers Ive tasted or want to try, recipes, etc. I can scan bar codes, add bookmarks, notes, record audio, pdfs, pictures etc and I use the Springpad widget on google Chrome to add stuff direct from my PC to access on my Iphone later. Ive added lots of information from this site and other brewing sites to it.
I have never used Springpad.I'm looking for an app to help me get organized, and a lot of my friends use Evernote for just about everything. They say it helps them keep track of everything. I've also heard about Springpad, which is really pretty and looks fun to use. What's the difference, and which one should I use?

allensmith said:
I have never used Springpad.I'm looking for an app to help me get organized, and a lot of my friends use Evernote for just about everything. They say it helps them keep track of everything. I've also heard about Springpad, which is really pretty and looks fun to use. What's the difference, and which one should I use?
Springpad is no more, so that leaves evernote. However Ive started using Microsft One note as they have updated their apps for the Ipad and Iphone. plus I like a lot of the features in One note and its easy to save things into a notebook on the PC then read them later on the Ipad etc.

But Evernote is very very popular which is obviously for a reason.

Back