Beer the Beautiful Truth

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy

Reaction score
Lion has started an initiative on educating the public on nutrition information about beer.

The world of beer section is interesting at least, has ingredients listed for all Lion beers:

http://www.beerthebeautifultruth.com/

Nothing you probably couldn't gather elsewhere, but I managed to kill a half hour.

I think it's a good campaign, especially for non beer geeks. It is interesting to compare the vastly different ways in which Lion and CUB have chosen to respond to the 'craft beer' phenomenon and how they have chosen to interact with the consuming public (or not in the case of CUB).

I just found this today, I've wasted a good amount of time at work looking though all the different beers.

Interesting to me was how many beers use hop extract only, also I didn't see any using pride of ringwood, all used super pride where applicable.

Go to the 'beautiful beers' section (try not to gag slightly like I did), select a beer, then click 'ingredients' on the right next to nutrition. There is some really good info here actually, and tells you the hops and malts - loosely - that go into each beer. For example this confirms the constituents to White Rabbit Dark Ale which has been debated a fair bit on the clone thread. As sluggerdog said, I'm also surprised at the widespread use of super pride over PoR.
Also surprised that a lot of breweries like Little Creatures use a unique Aussie yeast.

Ed: it does however fail to mention some additives, like drying enzyme that is absolutely added to some of the mainstream brews (how else does Super Dry get down to 0.998?) and colouring as in Rogers'. Maybe that's the 'natural fibre' mentioned?

Seen plenty of LCPA clones, and made a few myself, but never with that combo of hops. Nearly always cascade and Chinook, sometimes EKG, but never Ella. Interesting.

Dave70 said:
Seen plenty of LCPA clones, and made a few myself, but never with that combo of hops. Nearly always cascade and Chinook, sometimes EKG, but never Ella. Interesting.
Hey mate, I can confirm that they arent leading you astray with the Ella hops being added...this is a year or so old, but this is how they use them.

[SIZE=11pt]East Kent Goldings (UK) pellets used in the kettle for bittering, Cascade (USA) and a little dash of something interesting (Chinook, Stella ) pellets used late in the whirlpool for aroma. Cascade (Currently US) Chinook (US) and Ella (Tassy) and Simcoe whole hop flowers (used in the hop back) for maximum hop oil extraction (aroma). The hop flavour should be moderately intense and target citrus character.[/SIZE]

The combos and origins of the hops can also change throughout the year, depending on availability and the seasons...something that they like abut brewing the beer, it can change slightly throughout the year.

TheWiggman said:
Go to the 'beautiful beers' section (try not to gag slightly like I did), select a beer, then click 'ingredients' on the right next to nutrition. There is some really good info here actually, and tells you the hops and malts - loosely - that go into each beer. For example this confirms the constituents to White Rabbit Dark Ale which has been debated a fair bit on the clone thread. As sluggerdog said, I'm also surprised at the widespread use of super pride over PoR.
Also surprised that a lot of breweries like Little Creatures use a unique Aussie yeast.

Ed: it does however fail to mention some additives, like drying enzyme that is absolutely added to some of the mainstream brews (how else does Super Dry get down to 0.998?) and colouring as in Rogers'. Maybe that's the 'natural fibre' mentioned?
Rogers is missing the Cascade and Ella hops too!

Dave70 said:
New formulation vs old recipe?

LOL
Rogers: Pale ale malt, wheat malt, and "speciality malt"
Yep, thanks for that.

Having said that, it's great to fill in a few gaps in the hops & grains profile of a few beers.
Apparently the LC IPA is just Pale Ale malt.

I'm trying to understand the claim that there's less than 1g / L of sugar in most of these beers.

Spec sheet of e.g. US-05 states there's 11g / L residual sugar after using this yeast.

For marketers sugar equals sucrose only. Let's not technicalities get in the way of their "truth"

Yes, I thought as much.

As Bill Clinton once said: it depends on what the definition of "is" is.

Any idea what that 11g of sugar/non-sugar is composed of?

John Palmer's book has a table of the proportion of "sugars" pre-fermentation. I've looked around for similar information post-fermentation but can't find it. (Of course it depends on yeast variety too.)

Back