Beer Tasting Too Watery For My Liking.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slightly

Reaction score
So I just took a reading on my hydrometer, it's pretty close to 1020 (started at 1045 three days ago), I sampled some and it tasted particuarly watery compared to when I tasted my lager a few weeks ago at the same time durign fermentation. I use the Coopers Draught kit, and followed their instructions roughly.

Will this change? If not, can I do anything about it now or is it too late?

Sorry to late if it is tasting to watery now the only hope is that the cabonation will add some bubble/mouthfeel to balance it out. Ferment out, condition then taste and see.

Shawn

what ingredients did you use?? you could go to all malt I heard alot of people do this. my last brew was a kit with 1kg LDME and 250g dextrose. Bottled today and it is nice (maybe to much hops as its spicey almost) but it was nice I hope the hop spice settles in the bottle. my next one will be 1kg LDME and 500g dextrose just to see the difference in body and stuff plus want a beer around 5% last one was about 4.7%

what ingredients did you use?? you could go to all malt I heard alot of people do this. my last brew was a kit with 1kg LDME and 250g dextrose. Bottled today and it is nice (maybe to much hops as its spicey almost) but it was nice I hope the hop spice settles in the bottle. my next one will be 1kg LDME and 500g dextrose just to see the difference in body and stuff plus want a beer around 5% last one was about 4.7%

It's just Coopers Draught (kit yeast), with Brew Enhancer 1.

Wow, 1kg of LDME AND 250g, nice... what type of beer were you brewing?

Brew Enhancer 1 is just dextrose, so you should end up with a lower FG... and yes generally a beer with less "body".

LME doesn't fully ferment out, leaving behind unfermentables which make up the "body".

my last beer was a APA kinda I aimed for under 30IBU think it recomended about 35IBU but I made it to 28IBU although could of used better hops I think but its all learning haha

Sorry to late if it is tasting to watery now the only hope is that the cabonation will add some bubble/mouthfeel to balance it out. Ferment out, condition then taste and see.

Shawn

Not sure why you think 1020 is too late.

You could add in a touch of dried malt extract or even maltodextrin to add a bit more body. Boil it first in water and allow it to cool. Maybe 100-200g of dried malt extract?

Next time sub some dried malt in place of some of your sugar/dex (amounts will differ).

I will add however that while tasting through ferment is a good thing to practise, they way the brew is now is not necessarily how it will be once bottled and conditioned. I've made some brews that seemed a bit thin and watery on first sample but they came good with some time

Yep, you can still add some corn syrup before bottling to increase the 'mouth feel'. Around 200g will do. Dissolve in cool boiled water and stir in gently...

Yes, manticle is quite right, some quite profound changes can take place after bottling/ kegging through until serving. Even just the carbonation process can shift parts of the flavour and physical sensation spectra and magically turn watery junk into something quite spectacular, let alone the changes that take place with some quiet time in a sealed container. Usually these processes are beneficial, but I wouldn't suggest they will happen all of the time (eg. infection, imbalance etc.). Many of the brews I bottle seem just dreadful straight out of the fermenter but I've learnt that this is not a reliable indicator of how it will turn out where it matters, i.e. in the glass.

So I just took a reading on my hydrometer, it's pretty close to 1020 (started at 1045 three days ago), I sampled some and it tasted particuarly watery compared to when I tasted my lager a few weeks ago at the same time durign fermentation. I use the Coopers Draught kit, and followed their instructions roughly.

I'm confused................1.020 is sweet................should not seem watery. Do you mean sweet? Not bitter enough? What had you been eating drinking prior?

Cheers,

Screwy

If you used a Cooper's kit and used the right amount of water, it'll be fine. Keep the temps below 20 if you can.

(have you really made 102 posts since december 27?)

What had you been eating/drinking just before you tasted the sample?

I think I may just leave this one to see how it turns out... for future reference I may want to add sometime at this stage if it seems watery.

(have you really made 102 posts since december 27?)
Yeah, I'm just starting out, I have a lot of questions! I should probably slow down ey? But I can't seem to stop brewing, buying brewing gear, and reading about brewing!

What had you been eating/drinking just before you tasted the sample?
Nothing straight before, pizza about three hours before! :p

It's a good idea to make a tasting note whenever you take a sample. I'm looking at the tasting notes for one of my best beers at the moment and there is a vast difference from the first sample to how it turned out at 6 weeks. The first tasting promised a very average brew. Then after that it matured through subtle stages to be winner.
Another one tasted great in the fermenter, alarming at 3 weeks then hit the spot at 8 weeks.

Cheers

Draggin up an old thread but...

Just sampled my first AG, a Lager. Hydro says its at 1012, so pretty much ready to bottle in the next few days.
The sample my mate and I tasted was noted to be a bit watery, i think this may have been adding a bit too much dextrose[or mash temps??], due to a lower than expected SG.

Long story short, can i add a few hundred grams of light dried malt to 'body' it up a bit without stuffing the beer up? It is still in the primary fermenter, has been in there 10 days.
Recipe 3kg Ale malt (HBS brand), 0.5kg wheat malt, 0.3carapils, 0.2 caraaroma, mashin 65deg, out 60deg (90min mash). BIAB. s23 yeast.

Maybe get the mods to move this post ^ to beginer AG/Partial? How stable was the mash temp, 65 is on the lighter body side (just I think). Why did you mash out at 60? It's my understanding that it should be high enough to stop ezymatic (sp?) action, maybe the lowish mash temp and a dropping temp over the 90 mins, combined with a very low mash out has given you alot of easily fermentable sugars? Although re-reading your post FG is 1012, so that's not really overly ligh in body. How sure are you that you hydro is accurate? What temp did you measure the sample at?

Back