Beer Pouring Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishinyum

Reaction score
I have just gone into kegging and have tried to tap my first keg but have seemed to run into a problem. All im pouring is milkshakes. As i do not want to waste a keg of beer trying to work out what i've done wrong i thought id throw it out there to see if someone can help me. The answer is probably simple.

First off the steps ive done:
1. chilled beer in the fridge down to around 2 deg.
2. connected gas line and ramped up to about 340kpa and left it connected to the keg in the fridge for ~28 hours.
3. disconnected gas and released pressure.
4. reconnected gas and adjusted reg to 90kpa
5. tried to pour beer but all im getting is milkshakes!

Have i over carbed the beer? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Sounds over carbed to me, but what is the internal dimension of the beer line and how long is it. You need to make sure the resistance of the beer line is balanced with the pouring pressure so it doesn't come out too fast.

Otherwise - disconnect gas, release pressure, rock keg back and forth, release pressure, do it again but this time try and pour a beer (don't connect gas as the pressure being released from the beer should be enough to pour). The pouring rate will probably be slow but will give indication of over carb - slow and frothy definitely over carbed.

I would think you have over-carved. I typically (express) force carb at 36psi (250kPa) for 36 hours at 4 C when aiming at 2.5volumes before retreating to serving pressure. Although your duration is shorter, your kPa is significantly higher and you beer temp lower which will result in higher volume dissolved i.e.. over-carbed.

Are you Pouring from a tap or a gun?
When I first got my kegs they came with a pluto gun that poured way to fast and it was very difficult to pour a decent beer. The beer line was also the wrong internal diameter for the length of hose. I bought myself a cheap (ebay) flow control tap and some thinner id hose and it was better but still not great. Eventually got some decent taps (ex british pub) and everything works beautifully! If I was starting again I would not buy the cheap ebay tap and invest in a decent one from the start.
I hope this helps.
Neal

Thanks, ill give it a go. Did seem to pour pretty fast. I have 1m of 6mm line from keg to tap, is that enough? I have 2m on the gas line so i can swap them over? Ill keep at it, hopefully ill have it sorted (and not have drained the keg), so i can enjoy a few by the time footy starts!

i have a perlick 525SS tap. The hose is what fits the disconnects on the pin lock 19L kegs i have so i would have thought it was ok?

From what I see
340kpa and left it connected to the keg in the fridge for ~28 hours = over carb.. Try 300kpa and max 24hrs.
1m of 6mm line, You need at least 3m unless you are running a flow control tap.

My 2 bobs worth.

I find 24 hrs @ 250 kpa for already chilled beer is just about enough(less is best) and I always seem to get a small increase in carbonation over the next few days. Probably because after a few cold ones I forget to back the regulator off a tad from serving pressure. Rarely serve at more than 70 ish. I guess its a matter of trial and error. I have 5mm internal VALPAR Flexmaster @ about 3metres. Works for me.

Your beer line length is far too short for that diameter line as QldKev has said. Fix that then see how it pours. Suspect it will still be over carbed.

If it just me, but it looks like 3 of us posted at the same time. The Village idiot's post is before mine, yet time stamped after mine?

Bugger, Looks like the info the local home brew shop gave me has led me up the wrong path royally!

Will try again next week once i get some longer beer line.

Here's what you can do:

Swap the gas and beer lines. It will help.

Turn the gas off, now bleed the excess pressure from the keg via the relief valve.

Wait a few minutes, pour a beer.

Next beer, after a few hours or a day or so, do the same as above but try to pour one without bleeding first. If it pours right without bleeding you can turn the serving pressure on again and the system is now fairly balanced. If you need to bleed before pouring, wait another day. You'd get it right. It's the pressure in the headspace that pushes the beer and causes the foam from a flow too fast.

Me, I hook up a cold beer to gas @ 2-2.5 bar for a day and then turn that down to 1 bar for serving. Hasn't failed me in a while and I've dismantled and re-assembled my kegging thrice with different equipment each time.

Latest posts

Back