Beer Not Fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mick8882003

Reaction score
Put down a coopers ginger beer on sunday and its failed to kick off.

I think its because I forgot to areate it, its a 60l batch 6kg of sugar, its sitting on 19deg

There's no cariouson (spelling) or condesation, well only just a little.

Anything I can do to help it kick off?

Mick C

Before anyone else flames you, did you take a starting gravity measurement? and have you taken any subsequent measurements of the gravity?

Dropping gravity will definitely prove fermentation is occuring, these signs you are looking for are only visual clues that indicate fermentation.

Cheers SJ

If it has not taken off (true if SG is same as measured when pitching), you can still aerate.

If you check your gravity and it is not fermenting, grab a sachet of US-05, rehydrate in some preboiled water at around 27deg for 20 mins, then add this to the fermenter.

Rehydrating will help the yeast and also prove you have a viable pack.

Cheers SJ

Also, how much yeast (and what yeast) was used, given the size of the batch?

oh god I completely forgot about the hydrometer, was getting to used to going of the foam and condensation.

Doh!

Ok I think its fermenting now, its sitting on 1030, which by my calculations, it has dropped ten points.

I didn't use a nutrient pack and its the bog standard coopers yeast.

Thanks guys

Mick Carey

Did you use the two cans or just one? I would guess that with that amount of sugar you are not going to get a krausen as such. With my old ginger beers they were fermenting like buggery but you could only tell by looking across the surface of the brew and see thousands of little 'pin prick' things popping off every second as the gas came out but no foaming as with 'regular' beer.

If you only used one can than I don't think it's too late to chuck in a couple of teaspoons of YN dissolved in some sterile water and stir in gently then whack the lid straight on again.

Did you use the two cans or just one? I would guess that with that amount of sugar you are not going to get a krausen as such. With my old ginger beers they were fermenting like buggery but you could only tell by looking across the surface of the brew and see thousands of little 'pin prick' things popping off every second as the gas came out but no foaming as with 'regular' beer.

If you only used one can than I don't think it's too late to chuck in a couple of teaspoons of YN dissolved in some sterile water and stir in gently then whack the lid straight on again.

I'm hoping at least 3 were used. 60 L + 6kg of sugar.

Yes I had three cans of ginger beer in there, anyone know how many calories in a ginger beer?

Latest posts

Back