Beer Made From Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
010btd.jpg

HLT full of beer. Didn't smell very appealing, it reminded me of stale beer in a beer glass that I have left out over night.

017bjs.jpg

PH paper test of the 'hot liquor'. As we had anticipated.

021nud.jpg

Hatchy doughing in.

023wnx.jpg

Ritual mash hops. Galaxy (thanks Nige)

024uux.jpg

Ditto

026eum.jpg

Smurto giving the mash a good mix before checking the temp and pH

036wr.jpg

Hmm, seems ok...

038qd.jpg

Wait a second...let's check this again.

037zlg.jpg

Wow...it is ok.

042lky.jpg

The two pH paper tests of the mash of Beer made from Beer.

I left part way through the mash...so no pictures from me thereafter. Hatchy should have some more happy snaps of the Beer made from Beer.

Cheers

I can see this reaching cult status if it's half drinkable :lol:

great to see brewers using their initiative, and then some :chug:

I can see this reaching cult status if it's half drinkable :lol:

great to see brewers using their initiative, and then some :chug:

I can see this being the only time this ever happens but we'll wait & see what the resultant beer tastes like prior to final judgement.

Sorry Phil, I'm pretty sure I didn't get more photos after you left. I do have a couple of the HLT with a big frothy head though. I'll put that up tonight if I get a chance. I'll post a SG reading tonight as well if I get around to it.

I also should point out that Smurto & I should never use power tools together. I took some skin off my fingers getting the drill on the mill yesterday. We are possibly the 2 most useless blokes in Adelaide when it comes to tools. That drill may never come off the mill.

Really interesting thread; great work guys!

I didn't get many photos but here's what I got. Photos posted sideways as always, for some reason I can turn them around but they still show sideways on AHB.

My ultra fancy brewstand & 72c pump.

IMG_7364.JPG

Filling the HLT.

IMG_7366.JPG

I've never seen a head like this on a HLT before.

IMG_7369.JPG

Pre boil in the kettle.

IMG_7373.JPG

Spent grain & hops.

IMG_7375.JPG

It's at 1.055 at the moment so has dropped over 20 points in 1 day.It has to be one of the bitterest things I've ever tasted as well as being murky enough that it makes the Murray look clear. Mrs Hatchy normally has a taste of the hydro samples but she left this on alone. I'm thinking this will get an unhealthy dose of dry hops in about a week.

IMG_7387.JPG

LOL!!! i cant see this tasting any good :lol:

Mrs Hatchy normally has a taste of the hydro samples but she left this on alone.

It's certainly got a "unique" look about it :icon_vomit: haha

Great thread, I'm really looking forward to hearing the results

Kudos for giving it a go :beerbang:

Interesting. Looks like yuck. I get the beer from beer thing but what i dont get is why you didnt drink the first beer. Our too attemts so far have been horrible but we drank them all. bf was drinking it out of the bucket. Anyone ever make beer from grapes or fruit?
chantele

If I drank the beer I wouldn't have had beer to make beer from. If I was low on beer supplies I would've drunk it but at the moment I've got 4 beers & a cider on tap as well as swap beers I haven't gotten to so it seemed like an ideal time to do it.

:icon_offtopic:

How'd the cider turn out Hatchy?

How dare you take this thread off topic!

I only have 4 taps so I've got no idea, its too cold for cider at the moment. I've still got the other one in the fermenter that I probably should rack too.

Well if it doesn't work out you could always try making beer from cider ^_^

I wonder if you could apply this method and make beer from Carlton draught!

Probably not

I wonder if you could apply this method and make beer from Carlton draught!

Probably not

That was discussed at the case swap but was decided against mainly due to the expense. That would make it beer that was made from beer that had already been made from beer which would add an extra dimension.

Latest posts

Back