Beer Life In A Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mt mellum

Reaction score
Hio all,
researching the move into kegs and BIAB/Wort fermenting. Have done a search and can't seem to find the definitive answer.

How long will beer last in a keg whilst being used?

I work away 8 days and home for 6. I reckon I drink approx 2-3 stubbies a day when home excluding special occasions and blowouts/bbq's. That equates to around no more than a litre a day (5 litres per break) making a keg (18l) last 4 breaks which is around 2 months. Quiet break and I would be back to making the keg go 3 months.

Should I be looking at 9l kegs? or will the beer in 18 l kegs (obviously depending on style) be okay at those long durations?

any and every thoughts welcome.

cheers

As long as your hygeine is good, it'll last years.

Hey Mt Mellum,

Like Adam said, it's years - not that your AG or BIAB will be around long enough to have a chance to go off!.

By chance are you the road from me? I'm in Landsborough.

Cheers,

Sean

Hey Mt Mellum,

Like Adam said, it's years - not that your AG or BIAB will be around long enough to have a chance to go off!.

By chance are you the road from me? I'm in Landsborough.

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Sean, live at conondale (between Maleny and kenilworth) now. used to live on clarkes rd off old gympie rd at Beerwah (halfway between the 'borough and the 'wah). still own the house.

so if i keg correctly and leave it gassed at the correct levels, there'll never be a real drama with beer life? just leave it in the fridge, gas set and off to work for the week?

Never done AG or BIAB (the BIAB sounds dead simple with no chill) and want to make the step up from K&K/bottles so may as well go BIAB/keg whilst I'm laying out cash. any advice or lessons on that step greatly appreciated.

who do u use locally for gear? or is it CraftBrewers and a drive?

cheers

so if i keg correctly and leave it gassed at the correct levels, there'll never be a real drama with beer life? just leave it in the fridge, gas set and off to work for the week?

Yep, you can leave it gassed at correct levels.

If not being used (whilst you are away) you can turn your gas tank off also - however this is not necessary.

Once your keg is gassed up fully and balanced, you can leave the gas off even whilst pouring beers, after a while the pressure will subside though.

This all comes with experience, and lots of research on AHB, etc.

Latest posts

Back