Beer Is Good For You Article In Smh

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichLum

Reaction score
A "beer is good for you piece in this SMH article.

Not sure about this quote from Chuck Hahn though...
"It has no sugar, no fat and only about 150 calories per bottle - that's two bottles for each meat pie equivalent."

Some of the heavier beers have quite a bit of sugar in them don't they???

Rich

Beer has no sugar because all the sugars in the beer are fermented out. The heavier beers would have more dextrins in them, I dont know if theyre heavy on the calories or anything.

Well, I think you're preaching to the converted, but I sent this URL to some mates (and my missus) in order to educate them this topic.

morry said:
Beer has no sugar because all the sugars in the beer are fermented out. The heavier beers would have more dextrins in them, I dont know if theyre heavy on the calories or anything.
Morry all carbohydrates are sugars of some kind and in most beers [even kits] there is still residual sugar left. Derived from wheat corn barley or sugar cane. Brewers yeast does not ferment out all the sugar in the beer.

Your body has a wonderful enzyme factory and converts the majority of the alcohol and carbs into energy by breaking it down to glucose. What sugar it doesn't use the liver converts to a type of fat which can later be converted back to glucose. One of the reasons a heavy drinker can have a condition know as fatty liver.

People tend to regard sucrose [white table sugar] as the only sugar and marketing people play on this lack of understanding. Do some google research on sugars and yeast attenuation in brewing and you will see there are many reasons why beer contains significant carbohydrate levels.

As I said Beer has many different carbohydrates [sugars] and it is these that provide the beer with it's sweetness or dryness depending on the amount the sugars are converted to alcohol.

Steve

Latest posts

Back