Beer In Wine Bottles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take cover ..... Incoming ....
You are risking serious injury....
I hope those who do this will still be around to pick the bits of broken glass out of your face and hands !! Or eyes !!
Don't do it ..exploding bottles are not fun (they look funny on YouTube) but in real life can ruin your day ... Or worse!

Take cover ..... Incoming ....
You are risking serious injury....
I hope those who do this will still be around to pick the bits of broken glass out of your face and hands !! Or eyes !!
Don't do it ..exploding bottles are not fun (they look funny on YouTube) but in real life can ruin your day ... Or worse!

yeah sorry, what I meant was I'd rather use class than PET bottles - but by glass I meant beer bottles, not red wine bottles. Cheers for the concern though!

your probably right, but I like the idea of glass bottles for brew...I guess its the traditional appearance or something else appealing about glass bottles.

Who cares? if you want to go through all that shit of bottle bombs just for appearances?!. Go to kmart or wherever and buy some plastic bottles and once its ready enjoy the fact you have lost none for traditions sake and pour it into a nice traditional glass of your choosing. :icon_cheers:

Don't get me wrong i like the whole traditional thing with beer but i'd rather make traditional styles of beer and drink out of nice beers glasses than potentially going to hospital.

As you are a newbie and mistakes are inevitable (trust me i made plenty little ones and even experienced brewers screw up) so the key is to make it so it doesn't majorly screw up and the whole glass thing is one.

Who cares? if you want to go through all that shit of bottle bombs just for appearances?!. Go to kmart or wherever and buy some plastic bottles and once its ready enjoy the fact you have lost none for traditions sake and pour it into a nice traditional glass of your choosing. :icon_cheers:

Don't get me wrong i like the whole traditional thing with beer but i'd rather make traditional styles of beer and drink out of nice beers glasses than potentially going to hospital.

As you are a newbie and mistakes are inevitable (trust me i made plenty little ones and even experienced brewers screw up) so the key is to make it so it doesn't majorly screw up and the whole glass thing is one.

I understand your point, and the fact that I'm a newbie, but from what I've been told by a lot of the other guys, glass can be totally safe when precautions are taken. I've been warned against glass bottles not made for carbonation, and also against over-priming - so I think I'll be safe to use standard beer bottles (which is what I've decided to do). For now, PET something I'd like to avoid for a number of reasons (safety isn't one of them). But thanks for your advice :)

Cheers

I had a wine bottle explode on me a few months ago. Id left it sitting in my garage after taking it to a BBQ filled with apple juice.
We had filled it to create the illusion that my mrs was drinking ( baby on the way). It had a may be a cup or so of juice left
in it that must have had fermented.

I walked passed and knocked it over. the explosion sounded like a gunshot and it totally destroyed the bottle, dome base and all.
Aside from about 20cm of the neck poking out from the cap the largest piece of glass would have been 10 piece sized, most was splinters.
It threw glass out of the garage and across the driveway, and imbedded some grains into the wooden door it sat next to. I now have a rather
dashing scar across my left cheek where a piece flew passed as i turned around. i shudder to think what would have happened
if id been facing or holding it. Beer bottles and PET are cheap, avoid the wine bottles! my 2c.

Sweet idea for hiding the pregnancy - well done! My missus vomits for 4-5 months, so a bit harder to hide :icon_offtopic:

Back