Beer Filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,
I would like to add my bit if I may.
I took Ross's advice and phoned Pure rain in Bris and had a 1 micron absolute and a .35 micron absolute sent down to me on the trusty Aussie post.
I had 46 litres of Aussie ale to do the test and so this is what I did. BTW this beer had been in cc for 1 week.
I first run the beer through the 1 micron absolute and there was a marked difference ( I would say really clear) and if this was not a test then I would have just gassed it and enjoyed it.
I then ran the beer through the .35 absolute and it came out excellent.
I had put the results in three middy (SA schooner) glasses indicating the samples from each process.
I decided not to take pics because my results were as Ross had said and I figured that others would achieve the same result.
The beer I filtered was just a Powells ale malt with a tad of Munich and wheat and a Nottingham yeast.
I will post a pic of the filtered result as I will be gassing that beer tomorrow.
The info Ross gave as far as cleaning the filter cartridges was also spot on as mine came out like new after the nappy san treatment.
The next beer I will put through the filter is an Alt which is lagering at the moment and will be ready in two weeks time.
The thing I need to assess is the life of these absolute filters and that result will only be obtained over a period of time.
I am very pleased with the first result.
Cheers

dicko said:
Hi guys,
I would like to add my bit if I may.
I took Ross's advice and phoned Pure rain in Bris and had a 1 micron absolute and a .35 micron absolute sent down to me on the trusty Aussie post.
I had 46 litres of Aussie ale to do the test and so this is what I did. BTW this beer had been in cc for 1 week.
I first run the beer through the 1 micron absolute and there was a marked difference ( I would say really clear) and if this was not a test then I would have just gassed it and enjoyed it.
I then ran the beer through the .35 absolute and it came out excellent.
I had put the results in three middy (SA schooner) glasses indicating the samples from each process.
I decided not to take pics because my results were as Ross had said and I figured that others would achieve the same result.
The beer I filtered was just a Powells ale malt with a tad of Munich and wheat and a Nottingham yeast.
I will post a pic of the filtered result as I will be gassing that beer tomorrow.
The info Ross gave as far as cleaning the filter cartridges was also spot on as mine came out like new after the nappy san treatment.
The next beer I will put through the filter is an Alt which is lagering at the moment and will be ready in two weeks time.
The thing I need to assess is the life of these absolute filters and that result will only be obtained over a period of time.
I am very pleased with the first result.
Cheers
[post="80615"][/post]​

Dicko,

The filters according to American retailers, are good for 500 gals (100 kegs) of beer. I would have filtered only about 10 through the one filter so far, so can't really comment. hopefully using low pressure & gently soaking in napisan will give it a long lifespan. The Ferrari paper filters I used to use were $5 a time, so
I'm well in front already :D ...

Ross said:
Darren said:
Glad you guys used it first. Bit of a pity though that it didn't work
[post="80605"][/post]​

In what respect doesn't it work? If you're just refering to the filter cartridge supplied, then I agree...
[post="80606"][/post]​

Yep, thats what I meant. Guess I will get some of the other filters before I waste my time with the ones that came with the kit.
cheers
Darren

As a point of interest did anyone contact Hydrofil re supplying "absolute" filters, as they certainly haven't responded to the questions on this thread since their original post, assuming they had an interest to follow up...

cheers Ross

Ross said:
As a point of interest did anyone contact Hydrofil re supplying "absolute" filters, as they certainly haven't responded to the questions on this thread since their original post, assuming they had an interest to follow up...

cheers Ross
[post="80683"][/post]​

When there was no reply on our forum, I decided to go to Pure Rain.
I was happy with the filter housing, the tubing and the connectors for $69 from Hydrofil as I paid $59 for a similar filter housing about three or four years ago to be able to filter tap water and then I had to but the fittings etc.
I thought that Hydrofil may have replied to the questions.
GMK's post indicated that he was going to talk to them but I dont know the outcome.
Cheers

I have rarely found the need to filter my beer (I didn't say never)

Very interested in a high grade filter to filter my water , my give these dudes a call.

Batz

:beer:
Batz
I can recommend a reverse osmosis filter from Pure Rain. I bought one and installed it myself. The only issue you would have is the waste water used to flush the filter. For every liter of filtered water you need two liters to wash the filter membrane. I collect this wash water and use it water my vegie garden. I would suggest you talk to Len @ Pure rain @ Capalaba.
Cheers Altstart

quickly tested out the hydrofil filter system with the purerain 1 micron absolute filter. Here are the results on a weizen(3068 yeast).
weizenfilter.jpg
Not bright but certainly cleared it up a lot and good enough for me. Would be perfect for clearing up a quick turnaround soupy brew, yet leaving yeast to add to the taste. I ran it through at a reasonable speed to ensure that enough of the wheat yeast made it through.

Based on this one test the 1 micron is good enough for me. But if you want it bright go for the 0.35.

roach said:
quickly tested out the hydrofil filter system with the purerain 1 micron absolute filter. Here are the results on a weizen(3068 yeast).
View attachment 4267
Not bright but certainly cleared it up a lot and good enough for me. Would be perfect for clearing up a quick turnaround soupy brew, yet leaving yeast to add to the taste. I ran it through at a reasonable speed to ensure that enough of the wheat yeast made it through.

Based on this one test the 1 micron is good enough for me. But if you want it bright go for the 0.35.
[post="81812"][/post]​

Looks a bit to murky Roach - should be basically clear - I'm guessing you must have run it a bit hard...
Even if you run slowly & it's clear, there is still enough yeast to prime...

Ross,

Thanks for the feedback

Yep I figured it would do better if I slowed things down. Bit short of time today(bottled my SA XMAS case contribution) and so main objective was to see if the filter actually did the job. Next time will slow things down and I am confident it will clear it up.

I must say though with the weizen, the clearer version wasnt nearly as tasty. So will use the filter in future for quick turn around ales.

cheers
roach

Just a little bit of info toward the 1 micron vs 0.35 micron filters discussion. I am not part of this filtration movement but have been following the thread.

Talking to my mate today, who is a maintenance guy for rosemount wines, and he said their final filtration is 1 micron absolute for bright wines. This is only finishing filtration after DE filtration for the bulk of the crud.

Cheers

Borret

roach said:
Ross,

Thanks for the feedback

Yep I figured it would do better if I slowed things down. Bit short of time today(bottled my SA XMAS case contribution) and so main objective was to see if the filter actually did the job. Next time will slow things down and I am confident it will clear it up.

I must say though with the weizen, the clearer version wasnt nearly as tasty. So will use the filter in future for quick turn around ales.

cheers
roach
[post="81836"][/post]​

Isn't the yeast part of a Weizen taste anyway?

Yes Ross that is what I was trying to say in a round about way.

Well I don't have a beer filter and would probably be too lazy to use one if I did :). The good old ground up cow can do a pretty good job, below is a lager that had been in the fridge about a week so was pretty cloudy, 2 x tsp of gelatin in a cup of hot water turfed onto the top of the keg and three days later it is crystal clear.

Its not a filter but its another option if you don't mind using gelatine. :ph34r:

cloudybeer_001__Small_.jpgcloudybeer_002__Small_.jpg

Guys,

I'm curious to know what the difference is in the finished product when using fining agents vs filtering vs CC

If clearing the beer using finings allegedly strips the protein and/or yeast out of the beer then does filtering also do the same?

If filtering does do the same thing as finings then why spend $70 on filtering gear when finings will do the same thing for less $?

Is anyone able to do a comparison between the different "beer clearing" methods?

Cheers

Darren,

I understand the time issue but is there a noticeable difference in the quality of the beer (ie flavour, body, or clarity) between the various clearing methods?

Is the difference in quality actually worth worrying about or I should just go with the quickest or most convenient method for my situation?

Cheers

Beer bum said:
Darren,

I understand the time issue but is there a noticeable difference in the quality of the beer (ie flavour, body, or clarity) between the various clearing methods?

Is the difference in quality actually worth worrying about or I should just go with the quickest or most convenient method for my situation?

Cheers
[post="83755"][/post]​

Beerbum - If just clearing yeast, & some yeasts virtually never clear on their own, then the different methods have very similar results. I personally don't like adding clearing agents to my beer, but then that's just me, & a filter will give you clear beer in 10 mins - I like the convieniance of a clear keg from day one...
But just go with what suits you - If i have the time, i always give it a chance to clear naturally...

BB,
To tell the truth I am unsure as I have yet to filter a beer. I bought one of those filters but have discouraged by everyones results. Kettle flocc and gelatin finings have worked well for me upto now.

Darren said:
BB,
To tell the truth I am unsure as I have yet to filter a beer. I bought one of those filters but have discouraged by everyones results. Kettle flocc and gelatin finings have worked well for me upto now.
[post="83824"][/post]​

Give it a go Darren, I reckon you'll be pleasently surprised - or just convert it into a hopback :D

Latest posts

Back