Beer Filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darren said:
BB,
To tell the truth I am unsure as I have yet to filter a beer. I bought one of those filters but have discouraged by everyones results. Kettle flocc and gelatin finings have worked well for me upto now.
[post="83824"][/post]​

Same for me Darren.

I've got to get of my arse and grab a 1 micron absolute first. If the filter lingers for too long I may just wind up "Randalizing" it. :lol:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
I've got to get of my arse and grab a 1 micron absolute first. If the filter lingers for too long I may just wind up "Randalizing" it. :lol:

Warren -
[post="83846"][/post]​

Warren, works well as a "Randal" I think I took some pics when I used mine - If I can find them, I'll post them when I get back in the country...

warrenlw63 said:
Bloody 'ell Ross. You O/S again? Wanna swap jobs? :lol:

Warren -
[post="83851"][/post]​

Sat in lounge at Singapore drinking free piss :chug: boarding for Guanzhou, China in 60 mins... Off to a trade expo & a bit of customer PR :D ...
Bad beer & bad women for the next few days ;) ...

Ross said:
Sat in lounge at Singapore drinking free piss :chug:
[post="83853"][/post]​

Good thing. :D Who'd pay for Tiger in overpriced Singapore anyway. :blink:

Warren -

Damn, this thread hasnt really had a happy ending.

From what i understand our best option is to get the filter housing from Hydrofil & cartridges from Pure rain?

I will contact them both find out if either can supply a complete kit etc.

Unless anyone has given up on the whole filtration thing & wants to offload theirs ;)

KillerRx4 said:

From what i understand our best option is to get the filter housing from Hydrofil & cartridges from Pure rain?

Unless anyone has given up on the whole filtration thing & wants to offload theirs ;)
[post="101407"][/post]​

Killer,

Get Hydrofill to quote you the setup with a 1 micron "absolute" pleated filter. The other 2 filters they supply are not suitable. Purerain's filters cost approx $18.

Hope this helps...

Cheers Ross...

Ross said:
KillerRx4 said:

[post="101407"][/post]​

Killer,

Get Hydrofill to quote you the setup with a 1 micron "absolute" pleated filter. The other 2 filters they supply are not suitable. Purerain's filters cost approx $18.

Hope this helps...

Cheers Ross...
[post="101416"][/post]​

I beleive, killers way is the only option unless situation changed lately. In November I emailed Valdek at Hydrofoil and asked for the cost of their filter kit with the 1 micron "absolute" pleated filter. Valdek relpyed that he can not offer the absolute rated pleated crtridge as the wholesale price they can obtain the cartridges for is much higher than the price "somebody" offers us through the forum.

Cheers
PeterS....

PeterS said:
Ross said:
KillerRx4 said:

[post="101407"][/post]​

Killer,

Hope this helps...

Cheers Ross...
[post="101416"][/post]​

I beleive, killers way is the only option unless situation changed lately. In November I emailed Valdek at Hydrofoil and asked for the cost of their filter kit with the 1 micron "absolute" pleated filter. Valdek relpyed that he can not offer the absolute rated pleated crtridge as the wholesale price they can obtain the cartridges for is much higher than the price "somebody" offers us through the forum.

Cheers
PeterS....
[post="101452"][/post]​

I have contacted hydrofil re: availability of 1 micron absolute pleated filter OR a quote on just the housing, disconnects and tubing.

We'll see how it goes from here.

I have contacted hydrofil re: availability of 1 micron absolute pleated filter OR a quote on just the housing, disconnects and tubing.

Josh, what was the final quote? I will be trying to get out there on my next free weekend.

Can anyone tell me if the 0.35 micron filter removes protien haze?

Cheer
Jye

Jye said:

Josh, what was the final quote? I will be trying to get out there on my next free weekend.

Can anyone tell me if the 0.35 micron filter removes protien haze?

Cheer
Jye
[post="102391"][/post]​

Jye,

No filters are going to remove protien haze - The 1 micron will remove your yeast more than adequately. Polyclar, for protien haze removal...

P.S. Latest 2 bags of MO from Brizzy store have no protein haze problems...

Cheers Ross...

No filters are going to remove protien haze - The 1 micron will remove your yeast more than adequately. Polyclar, for protien haze removal...

Cheers Ross, I picked up some MO this morning for my IPA on the weekend :beerbang:

Can you remember how much the housings are from Pure Rain?

Jye said:

Cheers Ross, I picked up some MO this morning for my IPA on the weekend :beerbang:

Can you remember how much the housings are from Pure Rain?
[post="102422"][/post]​

Sorry Jye, a while back now - but it's in this thread somewhere - lol.

Give Len a call on 07 3245 7632 & tell him you're a mate of mine - he'll look after you...

cheers Ross

I picked up the Hydrofil filter kit for $69 incl del to Brisbane. It's been used to filter a couple of brews now and it's performed fine for me.

As Ross says, the included filters may not meet all your needs, but the 1 micron nominal pleated cartridge it comes with made both my beers nice and clean (one was dry hopped and very clouly prior to filtering). I haven't used the 1 micron spun cartridge yet (also included in the price). My suggestion would be to try the included filters, and if they don't measure up, buy some 1 micron absolute.

One thing to keep in mind with the Hydrofil is what you get included for the price - the filter unit comes with JG fittings on both in inlet and outlet and also a couple of metres of beva tube. All you need to do is add a disconnect to each and you're ready to go. Some of the other kits I've seen come with the 3/4" BSP (I think, might be 1/2) inlet and outlet, which means you've got to make other adapters etc.

No afilliation etc etc...

Cheers,

Alan.

Jye said:

Cheer
Jye
[post="102391"][/post]​

Jye,
Josh,

We are not able to offer at present 1 mic. absolutely rated cartridges with the kit.
We have introduced a new option and offer the kit without cartridges at further discounted price.
http://hydrofil.com.au/oscommerce/product_...products_id=116
Basic Kit no cartridges $59.90
Basic Kit 1 pleated, 1 spun $69.90
Basic Kit 2 pelated $88.90

Cheers,

Josh

Basic Kit no cartridges $59.90

Thats a pretty good price. Hydrofoil is a very easy company to do business with. I still use their pleated cartridge supplied and have good results. Although I just filtered an APA with .35 nominal 1 absolute with good , but i still have haze. Probably from brewing mistakes more than filtering.

Cheers, jj

After reading this thread, I sent an email to Greg at Clarence Water Filters, a company I've bought filter carbon from previously. I asked him what his thoughts were & if he could match or better the hydrofil price/package. Here is his reply:

I don't normally stock the 1 micron pleated sediment filters, but I can get them with my monthly order $19.95 each.

To totally remove any staining in your beer you need to go to about 0.2 of micron but I think there about double the price or more as they are a specialty filter. 1 micron pleated filters are good but can unload as well because there is no depth in the filter.

If you use a standard 1 micron poly-spun sediment filter you have a lot of depth in the filter to hold residue, and over the short time used for filtering you beer I think they would work better than the pleated ones at 1 micron.

Also you can use the same filter to clean the water for your next brew. I have heard that it's best to only to use a sediment filter not a carbon filter on your water for beer making. I reckon you can back flush the beer out of the filter by putting the garden hose on the other side of the filter housing. If your not going to use for some time dry out in the sun then store for next time. This way you will get good uses out of the sediment filters.

The clear filter housings are shit, only good for no pressure.

I can do you a H/D housing with push on hose fittings so you can connect to the hose for filtering water and back flush cleaning, you can get some clear plastic tubing to push over the fittings when you are filtering your beer, and 3 of the 1 x micron sediment poly-spun filters delivered to you for $62.00

Gerg can be contacted on 02 66468565 or via the ebay shop listed above.

No affiliation etc, just a happy customer.

Crozdog

Does he give any valid reasons as to why the clear housings are "shit" as he puts it?

To me that just sounds like an industry generalization. :ph34r: Or perhaps it just means he doesn't stock them. Why should they hold any less pressure than any other housing? You're only pushing the beer through at 80 kPa. Probably less than mains water pressure. <_<

Warren -

crozdog said:
After reading this thread, I sent an email to Greg at Clarence Water Filters, a company I've bought filter carbon from previously. I asked him what his thoughts were & if he could match or better the hydrofil price/package. Here is his reply:

I don't normally stock the 1 micron pleated sediment filters, but I can get them with my monthly order $19.95 each.

To totally remove any staining in your beer you need to go to about 0.2 of micron but I think there about double the price or more as they are a specialty filter. 1 micron pleated filters are good but can unload as well because there is no depth in the filter.

If you use a standard 1 micron poly-spun sediment filter you have a lot of depth in the filter to hold residue, and over the short time used for filtering you beer I think they would work better than the pleated ones at 1 micron.

Also you can use the same filter to clean the water for your next brew. I have heard that it's best to only to use a sediment filter not a carbon filter on your water for beer making. I reckon you can back flush the beer out of the filter by putting the garden hose on the other side of the filter housing. If your not going to use for some time dry out in the sun then store for next time. This way you will get good uses out of the sediment filters.

The clear filter housings are shit, only good for no pressure.

I can do you a H/D housing with push on hose fittings so you can connect to the hose for filtering water and back flush cleaning, you can get some clear plastic tubing to push over the fittings when you are filtering your beer, and 3 of the 1 x micron sediment poly-spun filters delivered to you for $62.00

Gerg can be contacted on 02 66468565 or via the ebay shop listed above.

No affiliation etc, just a happy customer.

Crozdog
[post="103796"][/post]​

Crozdog,

Take it from someone who's researched & tested filters to death...

Clear housing with relief valve is essential.
Polyspun are USELESS for beer filtering.
1 micron "absolute" pleated PET is the filter of choice - Clear beer, easily cleaned, & 100 kegs from 1 filter (not confirmed yet, 30+ & counting :) )

All the reasons, questions & answers have been discussed at length...

Edit: If you still have haze problems, it's not yeast!!!

Cheers Ross...

I've considered using filters but have found that I never get clarity issues with any of the beers of produced. In particular my lagers have come out crystal clear. :)

Latest posts

Back