Beer filter protip....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airgead

Ohhh... I can write anything I like here
Reaction score
Hi folks

I changed my usual cider technique this year and the result was a lot more pulp than usual made it into the finished brew. To the extent that it simply would not pour clear. There was, I estimated about a quarter of a keg of apple pulp sitiing at the bottom of each of the kegs. So I invested in one of Ross's beer filters to remove it and allow my wife to enjoy a nice clear cider.

The filtering went perfectly. The filter is a a great piece of kit. Beautiful clear cider. And a filter canister packed full of what looked like very fine apple sauce.

Now to clean it. I took it inside into the laundry and started to dissasemble. I hit the vent butto to relive the pressure and got a nice hiss so assumed that all was well to take it apart. I couldnt budge the lid though so decided to disconnect the lines to allow me better purchase. I pulled one of the lines, as it happens the in line. There was a a sort of BLUUUURP noise and I felt a wetness down my front. I was covered in a liberal spray of apple sauce. I looked around and the true extent of the tragedy became apparent....

A gret jet of apple pulp had sprayed forth from the disconnected line. Next to the sink is a neat rack containing mops and cloths and suchlike. The spray had cut clean across this so the very cleaning materials I needed to use to clean up, were completely covered in gunge. We also have a loo in the laundry due to its history as an ex outdoor dunny. This is where the main spray had hit. It was covered in apple pulp. It looked like someone had gone in there for a really high energy spew and forgotten to lift the lid. From there it had ricocheted to cover almost every flat surface with a fine spray.

Clearly, there was still considerable pressure present.

The next hour was spent cleaning the room with the missus pointing out all the bits I had missed.

So...protitp - if the filter is really, really hard to unscrew, it probably means its still under pressure. Vent it again. Or press the post on one of the keg connectors. Or if you really need to disconnect a line, make it the out line. At least that way you will be spraying clean beer all over the room.

Cheers
Dave

Back