Beer Festival Heritage Hotel 20 - 21st Oct

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bummer I didn't know about it earlier....
maybe day trip into the rock are on the cards tomorrow.

The beer fest was good. I started on the pale ales, went to the APA's then the IPA's/2IPA's then back to pilsners and then back up to IPA's/2IPA's, then some more IPA/2IPA.... starting to get hazy.... In between I tried the Lemon Myrtle Wit (from Baron's), Marzen Lager (from Red Oak) + others.

Red Oak IPA, Jamieson's IPA and everything from Murray's are definitely worth revisiting. (Shawn - can I get some of your marketing budget??)

Mr Murray informed me that there may be a Russian Imperial Stout next year. He also said that they bought some extra land (I think just north of Newcastle) so that they can expand production. I begged for some lambics and he said that he wouldn't rule it out (although its not really on the cards at the moment).

I'm burping grapefruits at the moment so time to get stuck into the water...

Swung by on Saturday arvo. Good range of beers on offer, many of which were very impressive and i'd never heard or had a chance to try them.
Murrays were definately my pick on the festival. Their Grand Cru! Unbelievably good, my favourite of the show.

My favourite guy rolled up to the bar next to me at the Matilda Bay stand, "Gissuma that bright ale. What? Next booth? Ah, gissuma that stuff ere, whatever it is." :lol:

Murrays was the pick of the bunch by quite some way. Well done for bringing 6 taps, including the 2IPA - not as OTT as I was led to believe. The triple really stole the show though. Was very disappointed that Redoak only brought 3 taps, and not very brave choices at that (Oktoberfest, Irish Red, IPA). As the best brewery in Australia IMO, I'm surprised they didn't use the opportunity to really strut their stuff.

The only beer I poured out was the ESB on at the Gage Roads tent. Fine serving staff though :D

I went on sunday and had a great time.

In general i tought the standard was great.

My favs for the day were the
Murray's Pilsner / Grand Cru,
Five Islands Longboard,
Schwartz PA,
Jamiesons Beast IPA

The only ones that I could not stomach was the Scharers Lager, and the SMB Hefe.

Ill be a definate starter next year, that is for sure.

Was very disappointed that Redoak only brought 3 taps, and not very brave choices at that (Oktoberfest, Irish Red, IPA). As the best brewery in Australia IMO, I'm surprised they didn't use the opportunity to really strut their stuff.
I was thinking the same thing. Their IPA is pretty good, but it had some very steep competition from the likes of Murrays and Jamisons. I'm suprised they didn't showcase some of their more outlandish beers like their Rauchbier and Framboise.

I made it there. She drove and I drank.

Did anyone try something called "The Beast". My god.... I've never had anything that hopped before.

The stuff from Mudgee brewing was very nice.

BOG

Did anyone try something called "The Beast". My god.... I've never had anything that hopped before.
That would've been the IPA from Jamisons Brewery. Bloody hop monster it is, along with the Murrays 2IPA. Found it hard to determine which was hoppier actually.

That would've been the IPA from Jamisons Brewery. Bloody hop monster it is, along with the Murrays 2IPA. Found it hard to determine which was hoppier actually.

Had a quick chat to the guys from Jamisons, they mentioned that the Beast IPA was in the range of 70 IBU's
so that equals pretty darn hoppy to me.

The only ones that I could not stomach was the Scharers Lager, and the SMB Hefe.

I nearly puked when the "pseudo" brewer from Scharers shoved past me to get his award for "best?" Lager, just slightly rigged don't you think

Dame lies and statistics.

What you need to know is how many respondants filled in the voting forms available.

If the sample was low then the award is worthless. If the sample is high then it's "Prestigious"

Will they release the data? Without the sample size it's just a glass paperwheight.

BOG

The beer fest was good. I started on the pale ales, went to the APA's then the IPA's/2IPA's then back to pilsners and then back up to IPA's/2IPA's, then some more IPA/2IPA.... starting to get hazy.... In between I tried the Lemon Myrtle Wit (from Baron's), Marzen Lager (from Red Oak) + others.

Red Oak IPA, Jamieson's IPA and everything from Murray's are definitely worth revisiting. (Shawn - can I get some of your marketing budget??)

Mr Murray informed me that there may be a Russian Imperial Stout next year. He also said that they bought some extra land (I think just north of Newcastle) so that they can expand production. I begged for some lambics and he said that he wouldn't rule it out (although its not really on the cards at the moment).

I'm burping grapefruits at the moment so time to get stuck into the water...

Glad you liked the beers fellas. I got the weekend off this time as I'm on Bitter and Twisted Festival duty next weekend at Morpeth, and the Brisbane Food and Wine Show the weekend after... Graeme said he had a top time.

As for the marketing budget Rukh?? If only mate. Graeme and I ARE the marketing budget :lol: Brewing and bottling flat out at the moment plus the run of beer festivals we are having is keeping us pretty busy...

I was really glad we got the Elephant Head Pilsner down to the show. We only brew limited quantities of it but it is one of my faves. Lots of late hopping but some nice malt to back it up.

Sounds like I missed a top weekend with lots of great beers. If any of you guys are backing up for the Bitter and Twisted show next weekend I'll see you there, and maybe even some of our Brisbane AHBers the week after.

Shawn.

Latest posts

Back